• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Deuce Day!

Barrman

My students and I have been working out way around the Gasser for the last 3 weeks. New grease in every bearing, new seals, cleaned out wheel cylinders, new shoes if needed, round drums, every single brake line replaced and all the brake hoses as well. New oil in the trans, t-case and axles. Pulled the air pack apart and make all the parts that move actually able to move.

We got it all back together this morning. Bled the brakes to find I had a really high firm pedal. I was happy with that. Then I fired it up and let the air psi build. I barely touch the pedal once the guage was past 60 and it is even higher. Then the really cool part. I let go the pedal and PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHT! comes out the air pack vent inside the air cleaner. That was so cool I had to do it again. PSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHT!, then again PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHT! I have never heard that in a multifuel and didn't even know mine did it since the air pack has always been clogged up.

I turned it off, opened the service brake glad hand at the back and hit the pedal again. Air actually came out the glad hand. Never had that before either. I closed the valve back. I wanted to see how the brakes worked, so I had the students lower back to the ground from the jack stands. I stayed in the cab and played while they did this:

PPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHT!

over and over until I ran out of air.
My class has 8' tall doors and the windshield has to be down to drive the truck in and out. Once we got it back on the ground, the hood and windshield came down. I backed up a little and hit the brakes. It actually skidded on the clean concrete floor. I backed it out and then pulled it back in again so we could use some of my fancy engine diagnostic stuff to check out how the OA331 really is running. Everything checked with what I already knew, it is a runner.

I of course had to play with my brakes until I lost air:

PPPSSSSSSHHHT!

My students are now more convinced than ever that I am just a big kid with big toys.

Then the really good part happened. I took my Alabama title International Title Service sent me a few months ago, a Former Military Vehicle application, a current picture and my just arrived in the mail yesterday insurance papers to the tax office over lunch. When I transfered the M715 from regular tags to Military tags a year ago in took them 4 hours to do the paper work. I took notes then though and brought them with me. 30 minutes later and after heavily relying on my notes to tell them what to do, I walked out with a current Texas registration and a title should be in my mail box in a few weeks.

This means I will get to drive it home tonight from work! Colton is going to be very suprised when I pull up in the Gasser to take him home from school.

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Good Duece Day!

Sweet sounds like they are having fun along with you! Nuthin better than learnin and havin some fun at the same time. Keep up the good work.
nopics

Barrman

RE: Good Duece Day!

The truck doesn't look any different now than it did the last time I posted pictures. But, I will probably get a "drivers view" shot on the way home tonight just because I can.

Barrman

It ran great until I got to 4th or 5th gear. Then it kind of lost all motivation to go faster. The more I drove it, the better it got though. I guess idling for 18 months kind of left it needing to be blown out. Colton thought it was great that I picked him up from school in it. He even talked me into driving it to our Cub Scout meeting.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks