• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good ideas for screw extraction, please

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Good ideas for screw extraction, please

poppop said:
If you can get to it easily, I have used my small wire welder to very carefully build up the center of the bolt. Than place a nut over that and weld it. The heat usually lossens it up and it comes out.
This method works VERY WELL. I use this method all the time when restoring vehicles that have broken/seized bolts (usually exhaust bolts). I recently just did this for a set of bleeder screws that were stripped and seized in a set of calipers for a '66 Mustang GT. (Original calipers are very expensive to replace) and it worked perfect both times.

Key here is to get enough weld to get good heat into the bolt, but not any weld onto the main tapped part of the metal. Let it cool to where it's not red and try to remove it with a ratchet. Iit will either shear off the new weld (if you had too many impurities in the weld) or it comes right out with a ratchet. If it shears, just re-weld a second nut back to it and try it all again...

Good luck!

Neil

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
Bjorn, you could run a tap through it to oversize and helicoil it. That'd be stronger than original.
Okay, I would have to drill it to 13/16 or so, for the external threads. The boss would be weakened, IMHO.
I'll use a through bolt for now. The purpose of it is to support the center, pivot point, of the idler arm for the fan belts. A second bolt supports one end, so there is not a lot of stress with the belts purposely left loose enough to cause the fan to slip under water (which may never happen anyway).

Thanks again for the advise. Using the lefthanded bits was a hit. :)

I'm blowing my monthly allowance on drive belts and coolant hoses this time.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks