• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good read on brake line tube testing

HDN

Thanks for posting! If I remember correctly, I think some parts vendors are selling copper brake line kits for the old Jeeps. I think my dad bought a set for his M38A1.

That said, every time I go under the truck to bleed the air tanks, I visually check for any brake fluid leaks around the wheel cylinders and the lines. As much as I like the older trucks, I don't see myself buying anything with single-circuit brakes unless I can convert it to dual-circuit or just get something with air brakes like the FMTV and the M939 5-tons.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for posting! If I remember correctly, I think some parts vendors are selling copper brake line kits for the old Jeeps. I think my dad bought a set for his M38A1.

That said, every time I go under the truck to bleed the air tanks, I visually check for any brake fluid leaks around the wheel cylinders and the lines. As much as I like the older trucks, I don't see myself buying anything with single-circuit brakes unless I can convert it to dual-circuit or just get something with air brakes like the FMTV and the M939 5-tons.
I guess when hydraulic brakes were first invented steel lines hadn't been required (maybe not even invented yet). Pressure was a lot less - and copper was good enough to operate a still for shine so why not?

Before that, mechanical brakes had been king. If you wanted to stop faster, you pushed the peddle harder. Maybe even stand on it with two feet! :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks