• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a diesel suburban...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my buddy does anyways... which means I get to fix it. 1990, 6.2L, 2wd, 1/2 ton, 700r4 tranny. So Dan, my fore mentioned buddy, has 4 boys, and a 5th on the way. So a larger vechicle was going to be needed. Also they are always hualing around extra kids. So a Suburban was mentioned, but gas mileage was going to be a killer. (with 5 kids, they are poorer than dirt). Thanks to this forum, I suggested the 6.2L engine.
We won one off ebay. 850.00, would not start, but did run when parked. Dan gets the thing to my house on a trailer, I get in and see WAY too many digits on the odometer. 356,000! Turns out he never asked how many miles was on it. I am thinking this thing is going right back to ebay. So decided to get it running at least. They semi-fried the starter, and half the power is missing on the fuse panel. I got the starter fixed, just had to clean and free up the brushes. Dan found the electrical problem, they bypassed the ignition wire, and jumped the fuel solenoid in the injector pump. So the truck was getting fuel, but no glow plugs. Fixed the electical glitches, and lo and behold, it starts!
I have not played with a 6.2 before, but was very happy with how this one ran. Ran smooth, clattered till warm, good power. Glow plugs worked without a hitch. Truck shifts, stops and runs good, to my surprise. Still little things wrong, loose tie rod, unbalanced tire, rusty, but, a keeper.
So how long will one of these 6.2's run? Think this one is rebuilt with that many miles? What kind of mileage with the overdrive? I am thinking 3.73 gears, and idea what it will tow? I am thinking of one for myself now...
Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive seen 6.2's go 250k before. The main problem with them is the injector pumps usually need rebuilding at about 100k. There is a website called "the dieselpage" (not sure of the exact website name),which has alot of info on these motors and all the tips and tricks. I had a 6.2 turbo in a crew cab 4x4 with a turbo 400 3 speed and got 17mpg's empty with 35's. They are great for economy. Looks like that was a good deal!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 450,000 out of my 84 C-10 with a 6.2. I've got 180,000 on my 94 K3500 6.5. I find the 6.2/6.5 very durable just a mite bit underpowered. My 6.5 has never failed to pull what I've asked it to pull including M35A2s.

Armada

For even better fuel economy, you can replace the civvy intake with a cucv intake, less restriction. It's good for almost 20 extra hp. If you pull the ip, that would be a good time to make the switch.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The engine will periodically cut out like its missing. This will usually happen at highway speeds or when at WOT as your trying to pass someone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks