• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got a expandable van(292A2)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Wade,
Congratulations on your new toy! It will be tough to find a smoother riding deuce than the M292A2. Beware, with the wind drag of that big sail, she's a tad bit slower than a cargo truck. Do me a favor, if you think about it. Once you get the truck, tell me the shape of the rear window.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

area52

Re: RE: got a expandable van(292A2)

DDoyle said:
Wade,
Congratulations on your new toy! It will be tough to find a smoother riding deuce than the M292A2. Beware, with the wind drag of that big sail, she's a tad bit slower than a cargo truck. Do me a favor, if you think about it. Once you get the truck, tell me the shape of the rear window.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
Thanks David - yea I am not too worried about the speed. I am going to take my time driving it home. Do you know where I can find some info about the van body? The seller said it hasn't been expanded in a while and I was wondering about some preventative maintainance procedures for the expander mechanism.

Do you have one of these truck?

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: got a expandable van(292A2)

My oldest boys were looking at that truck...desiring to have it. They printed out pictures of it and showed it to me practically every day! :p Congrats on your new MV [thumbzup]

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I have spent months in those trucks in the field and in combat zones, they are really good trucks and the space inside when expanded really is great. I built custom hang down tables suspended from the top rails. It was nice having a welding shop and all the steel you could want to go hog wild on a project. I wish I had pictures of it but it was the favorite van of all in the TOC since the hanging table had lots of fold downs and storage that allowed a quick get away when we jumped the TOC. Have fun with this one they are really nice, congrats on the save.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The van body is referred to as an M4. It is the same body used on the M313 semi trailer. If you go to the TM section, dowload TM 9-2330-238-14. Thats the semi trailer manual but you can see the detailed workings of the body. As long as they have not been bent, all should go well. Remember, in that manual, you are primarily concerned with the M313. All the others have different bodies.

DD, on a different note, the fellow in Ft Laud had an M292A1 a few years back. Yep, LDS427. I have some pics of you want them. It was white with black hood numbers. IIRC it was a 1963.

Elwenil

I remember you posting those pics of the white truck for me when I first came to SS, Kenny. I was drooling over the one on eBay and I'm glad a member got it. I will have some sort of expansible van truck before I die, lol. I've been drooling over that body since I first saw Tom's 8x8.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good memory Lanty! FWIW, the M36A2 chassis is the same as the M292A2. If you need to build one, you can!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's a nice rig for a great price. Keep us posted with pics if you repaint or restore it! That beast would be great with a big-screen and a sound system installed in the back, some folding chairs and a genset for the MV rallys for us to watch movies in. Or, how about a jacuzzi? :grd:

CGarbee

Congratulations!
Keep us posted on your progress... I've always like the expandable bodies myself, but I keep finding other things to spend money on... Hope that it gives you years of trouble free, and fun, service.

JDToumanian

Great looking truck, I think you got a great deal. Post your intended route before you go, so we can check it out if we're close by! 8)

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Wade,
Yep, I have one of these. It looks like the heater and AC have been pulled from yours - due to asbestos there was a MWO a few years ago on this removal. Mine lost its AC and heat at that time, but I am putting them back in. Kenny has already given you the info on the M4 body.

Regards,
David

CanonNinja

congrats Wade... your plan played out very differently than when I had talked to you last, but this should be just as much if not more fun than the old Deuce

ONTOS66

Congratulations! Looks like a great project. I looked at the truck on ebay, but it being in California made it impractical. There is one sitting in the storage lot at the National Guard Armory in West Orange, NJ - I'm assuming that it will eventually be sold off unless some agency decides that they want it. Now, once you add the air conditioning, carpet, big screen TV ..... oh yeah, this will keep you busy for awhile.

area52

thanks guys.

I might just be living in it when the wife finds out!! :shock:

I plan on flying into San Fran and driving down to see some friends by San Luis Obispo and then over to Barstow and I40 all the way to New Mexico.

If anyone out that way is interested in a 5 ton winch, I might drive out instead, and bring it with me.