• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got My Deuce!

Tomtsled

Got my deuce yesterday. 1972 non-turbo. I'm planning on putting a knuckleboom crane behind the cab for my impending firewood business. I purchased one on ebay that I still have to go and pick up. Markings on side indicate it used to belong to the Navy. It came with a trailer that I am probably going to sell. Hopefully the pictures I am going to try and attach come out. My first question of a thousand I'll probably have about this truck is that the owner said that it will produce enough air to fill up the tires, but not run air tools. I've seen in other posts where it is quite common for some of the other truck owners to be able to run air tools. Can anybody tell me what the deal is about this?

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice lookin' truck. Too bad you're in NY, I'd buy your trailer.

CanonNinja

looks to be in pretty good shape, congrats!

but i gotta ask... that pic of the hood... did Spiderman come help you to load up or what? what the heck is all that coming off the bumper?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Keep the hood markings, at least good pictures of it.

About the air supply, the compressor puts out about 7 cfm and the tank capacity is enough for intermittant use of air tools, not so good for a paint sprayer or high speed grinder. I have no problem with my 1/2" and 3/4" impacts, but must wait for the compressor to catch up in stubborn cases.

Good luck with your K-boom addition, saw the ebay listing and the crane looks complete. Let me know if you need more questions answered (beyond past emails). :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to Cranetruck's air tool statement (and thanks to Bjorn-I have never read the CFM capacity of the compressor).

I have used pretty much all my air tools in the junkyard of my deuce, but the tools that require a large volume (air hammer, cutoff wheel, etc.) are sloooow going due to having to let the air tanks refill. But when you're in the junkyard and you need the floor hump out of that Road Runner to convert your Satellite to a 4speed, nothing beats an air hammer, even if it takes a while!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: Got My Deuce!

You know, if you use your air supply alot, you can put a second pump on the motor. It would cut your "waiting to catch up" time in half.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

I never thought about it, you could hook up a York compressor that way you can turn it on and off when you need the air.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's the air supply I had for my garage for a long time. A york with an electric motor. It wasn't great, but it worked. I had it wired cool too, normal, the motor kicked on and the clutch on the pump engaged. High use, the motor would keep running and the clutch kicked in and out.

I think I might add another tank or two to my truck for the volume. Maybe an electric valve so I can have air for brakes quickly, then charge the other tanks only when I need them.