• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the Capacitor Assembly... Now What???

Refalgren

Hey there all, got the capacitor assembly replaced on my '86 CUCV Pickup. Try to start it now and there is a weird buzz/grinding sound from behind the dash, and/or just on the other side of the firewall when i turn the ignition key. I do not see and fuzeable connections burnt out in the engine compartment, so am unsure what the problem component is now.

<-- Lacking in electrical system experience :? (me hates electronics)

Refalgren

I guess the question is, what components behind the dash and on the drivers side of the engine compartment firewall apply to, and are used in the starting process?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starting relay under the dash? Narrow down where the noise is coming from and it will help significantly.

Refalgren

dont have a computer able to upload pics, otherwise id be posting lots of pictures.

on the other hand, i have fuzzy stuff growing out of my GP Relay... not a good sign

CCATLETT1984

he is talking about the supressor that is connected to the 24v positive and negative distribution blocks on the firewall. its sole purpose is to filter out noise from the power, so the radios would have a clean power source.

Refalgren

well, I ordered the starter relay and the glow plug relay from Boyce Equipment. Should arive via UPS on thursday. Then I can install them and see if the truck will start then. *crosses fingers*

PS. Everclear is REALLY fun to drink. Ive had three of the following:

in a 12 ounce glass mix

1 shot EVERCLEAR
1 scoop Pink Lemonade
fill the rest of the glass with cold water, mix and serve.

*is happily typoing this and waving side 2 side rather drunkkenly*

Bobert

I don't know what Boyce charges for the relay, but you can get them at the auto parts store for like $4. I think advanced calls them AC40.

Just in case you need another one sometime. [thumbzup]

JohnFire

got mine at autozone $7 bucks, but you have to ask for an ACDelco ac40 not a starter relay, cause these are really heater relays on autozones inventory. I don't think they even list a starter relay for these trucks in their system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks