• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Government job

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning folks! I am looking at applying for a vehicle readiness management job to serve the Marines. I've had a bit of experience with preventative maintenance on ships, personal vehicles, classic vehicles and my M35A2. After 20 years in Intel I think I want to change it up a bit. I would appreciate any advice, or insight as to what the daily life of this job type is like.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this an active, civil servant, or contractor position? Where is the depot? Is this a mechanic position or management? Kinda need to know those details to provide the insight you are looking for.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this an active, civil servant, or contractor position? Where is the depot? Is this a mechanic position or management? Kinda need to know those details to provide the insight you are looking for.
Contractor management position supporting MCLB Albany

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you want to move from paradise to Georgia? OK. I can tell you about the Army's equivalent operation at Red River Depot in Texas. You will be a cog in the wheel of an operation that takes worn out and in need of upgrade vehicles such as HMMWVs and MTVRs straight from USMC. All day long, trucks will show up loaded with carcasses and they are unloaded and lined up in storage fields. Based on some priority given by USMC, your operation will pull from these stocks and roll the carcasses into the disassembly bay, where the trucks are completely disassembled. Powertrain components go to a separate facility for overhaul. Body and frame goes to a stripping facility where the paint is removed and parts are repainted, after which they are delivered to the reassembly building. There the parts are reassembled into upgraded trucks etc. As you can imagine, all of this requires careful coordination to assure that the production and quality targets are met (10 completed trucks per day for example). This coordination position and/or management of the workforce is your job. You will spend part of your day in an office with software that tracks the movement of items and part of your day on the shop floor managing workers. There will be relentless pressure to meet targets and unending problems to solve. Welcome to manufacturing, I have done this my entire career.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think its under/below site lead job, "maintenance readiness manager" Not so much wanting to move from paradise (it sound like it but its way too expensive). Didn't know it was a manufacturing job, if it wasn't for other issues I would have applied for a diesel mechanic position.

Last edited:

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Site lead is a good job. You run the work site. In charge of most of the show. Keeping your clerks working hard and controlling/monitoring the paper flow. Checking the guys on the floor. QA/QC. Keeping up with the reports. You are the big manager. It helps if you have some mechanic experience.
I should have worded it better. I think it's either 1 or two tiers under the site lead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks