• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Government rebuilt engine LDT-465-1D

sgoeser

I am looking for a government rebuilt LDT engine. I guess most have been rebuilt in the early 1990"s. What am I looking at in replacement? Can I hopefully install the engine with new oil and filters and light her up and enjoy the drive? Or am I looking at a can of worms? If I am, what is your suggestions I do before the install. I am worried about the crank and bearings sitting in the same place for 30 years and the injection pump and engine gaskets leaking like a son of a gun. Or, will I be alright as is? One seller of used and new parts told me of all the government rebuilt he has sold on a small few had problems and they were easily repaired. All I have to go off of is his word. Please give me some hope or suggestions.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I can tell you from my own experience is that you will spend 2.5-3k on the parts alone to do a rebuild of an existing engine. That is with new crank, liners, pistons, all bearings, new water pump.
That does not count the time spent and the "little things" that also add up.
Not directly answering your question, but perhaps some help in putting cost into perspective.

rustystud

You can "preprime" the oil galley. That way you know your getting oil before you start-up the engine. Just use a "pesticide" sprayer and instead of bug killer put in engine oil. Then attach it to a plugged oil port with a nipple and hose, and pump away !
Of course disconnect it and put the plug back in before starting up the engine !

sgoeser

I'll keep that in mind when the time comes. I am assuming you have done this and could get enough pressure and flow to move the oil into the bearings and filters.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the LDT/LDS rebuilds were done at Tooele Army Depot in Utah. I have one in my Deuce, it's a good runner. There may still be some in Utah, save ya some shipping costs.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question is how much you want to do. You could pull the injectors and put kind of lube down into each cylinder. By pulling the injectors you could double check they were two hole injectors before you install the motor. You could pull the center plug on the IP Head and put some lube down there. You could plumb up a fuel line so you could circulate fuel through the fuel system so it could be started in the can. If you got one once you have everything ready. Once you did all that you could use the good oil priming system and spin the motor over buy hand a couple of turns. Then keep the fuel shut off off and use the starter to spin it over till a good gage said you have good oil pressure. Then give her fuel and see if it starts. All this could be done while it is in the can.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know of any one in Tooele I could contact to see if they have a LDT/LDS laying round for sale?
I don't know anyone in Tooele at this time, but Boyce Equip. & Parts Co. in Ogden Utah have some. (1-800-748-4269) This picture is taken off their website. Boyce.jpg

sgoeser

That would be so exciting but I already call them and Mark said he doesn't have any more. They do have LDS short blocks from the pan to the head studs for me 2000, but asking 2500. And a gasket set for 287. That could be the way to go if I can't find a total rebuilt. I an 72 and really don't want to go to the hassle of crawling around on the garage floor to do a rebuild. Lower back has given out, too many years fixing other peoples cars and trucks.
Thanks for the help.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Tooele Rebuild.jpgTake out.jpg White Owl Parts Co. (252-522-2586) has rebuilt and good takeout LDT engines available. 1st pic is a Tooele rebuild, 2nd pic is a good takeout. Pics are from their website. They are located in North Carolina. Good folks to deal with.

rockbronco

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks