• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gr did m1008 starter compatibility

SFC Novak

I don’t know if my original starter is a gear reduction or direct drive. New starter says 24V on the solenoid, but starter body is smaller. I want to be sure that Hillbilly Wizard didn’t send me a 24V solenoid on a 12V starter. How can I be sure?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know if my original starter is a gear reduction or direct drive. New starter says 24V on the solenoid, but starter body is smaller. I want to be sure that Hillbilly Wizard didn’t send me a 24V solenoid on a 12V starter. How can I be sure?
Here are the part numbers .

Starter

The factory starter for the 6.2L engine is the 27MT Direct Drive 24v unit (GM part# 1113591). Rebuid kits can befound at www.aspwholesale.com. Specify 24v when ordering. Wilson has a rebuilt starter WIL 91014376, available at NAPA, Oreilly's and other locations. Price is around $230

GM replaced the direct drive with the 28MT Gear Reduction starter (GM# 10479611) in the late 80s early 90s. The original units where made in Japan and are used on a lot of different equipment. Most of the ones you will find on Fleabay are made in China. Quality may not be up to standards. Buyer beware. Wilson also sells a rebuilt unit WIL 91014417. NAPA, Oreilly's, etc. You can get rebuild kits from www.aspwholesale.com

Be sure you change the starter bolts with factory ones, install the "correct" support bracket and bolt the bracket to the block.

DD - direct drive
GR - gear reduction
starter bolt - 15544950
bracket bolt - 14060613 - M8 x 1.25 x 20 - hardware store
starter bracket DD - 14028931
starter bracket GR - 23502557
DD rebuild kit - http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.ph...productId=6174
GR rebuild kit - http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.ph...productId=5977
DD rebuilt 24v starter - Wilson WIL 91014376
GR rebuilt 24v starter - Wilson WIL 91014417

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks