• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greasing m939 trans/transmission drive shaft

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having alot of trouble trying to grease these 4 zirk fittings on the trans/transfercase shaft. Bought a more narrow grease tip to try and get in-between the tolerances but none so far are working. Can't get a 7/16 wrench in to even loosen them to change the angle. Anyone have ideas? I was going to look at a needle tip grease gun but other than that the shaft knuckles will have to come apart to reach them. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am having alot of trouble trying to grease these 4 zirk fittings on the trans/transfercase shaft. Bought a more narrow grease tip to try and get in-between the tolerances but none so far are working. Can't get a 7/16 wrench in to even loosen them to change the angle. Anyone have ideas? I was going to look at a needle tip grease gun but other than that the shaft knuckles will have to come apart to reach them. Anyone else have any ideas?
I would imagine that the needle tip for your grease gun will work. You apply it pushing in the "ball and spring" on the fitting and it should push grease into the fitting...

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would imagine that the needle tip for your grease gun will work. You apply it pushing in the "ball and spring" on the fitting and it should push grease into the fitting...

Right. I just wanted to see if anyone else had something different. I bought an adapter from napa to a needle valve so I should be fine now.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Right. I just wanted to see if anyone else had something different. I bought an adapter from napa to a needle valve so I should be fine now.
Yessir. Sounds to me like you've got it. The frustrating part is that some "goober" who installed the universal joint installed it wrong. Chances are that whomever it was just didn't THINK when they installed it.

Valor

You only need to grease two of the zerks, one on each u-joint. The other 2 are for ease of access if needed. They are all the same according to Wes Simpson. What I did was loosen the 4 bolts on each end that bolts to the flange of the trans or transfer case one end at a time and move the driveshaft away a bit. remove 2 of the bolts so you can turn the cap on an end a bit so you can get the grease gun tip to the zerk. Grease it and bolt it back together. Torque to 100 ft. lbs. Do the same for the other end. Good luck.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ended up needing to remove 4 bolts on the trans side to slide the shaft back and grease the zirks. What a pita. luckily I shouldn't need to do that job again for awhile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks