• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greasing the Steering Knuckle

mhb285

I've taken the 2 plugs out of the front axel and put in 3 tubes 14oz of Delo Grease EP NLGI-2 (the blue stuff)just on the passenger side. If the thing was totallly empty, how much grease do these things hold? Nothings poped out of the pulg holes....Damm my arms are tired!
Did I screw something up?
help...I still need to do the drivers side....

MATT

I have changed quite a few steering knuckle boots and find that usually they are not very full, I wouldn't get to carried away with the grease it will just squirt out of the zipper. 3 tubes seems like plenty. Try it and let me know!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mhb285 said:
how much grease do these things hold
The manual says 2 lbs (0.91 kg) capacity ea. side. Just watch the boot if it didn't start to "inflate". By touching it you should be able to feel the grease inside. I wouldn't go over half full. 3 tubes is more than enough according to the book.

mhb285

Thanks for the info. I'll do the drivers side with 2 or 3 tubes or untill I hear a grease "pop" sound...
Is the grease fitting on the bottem just for the steering knuckle? Is there a front U-joint / CV with a grease fitting under the boot?
Thanks

JRBAMATEX

This is a good thread for me too. I recently replaced the seals in the passenger front side axle. Crane truck has all the good info and was nice enough to share an article he did on the procedure. I put about three tubes in the knuckle or axle end housing before I replaced the spindle. I have the whole thing reassembled now but need to top off the knuckle with grease. The article said that when I was done with reassembly that I should add some more grease to the knuckle via the fittings. I was planning on adding about two more tubes or until I see it coming out of the plug holes pretty good. I don't want to put in too much and cause a boot problem when I start driving again. But then again I don't want to cause a U-joint problem with too little. My guess is just cram it in there until it's oozing out the plug hole more and more with each pump.

Dieselsmoke

Bjorn, nothing wrong with referring to the PS Mags all the time, IMO they are one of the best sources of info out there. All the info that didn't make it into the TMs and stuff learned the hard way in the field!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks