• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Green brake fluid???

SoylentGreen

I finally got around to checking my brake fluid and saw it was green, not what I expected.
I took a little out and dropped it in some water and it did not mix, just floated around in little blobs so I know it's silicone based but what is it and can it be mixed with DOT 5 (Purple)?

stumps

The purple dye in DOT5, and BFS, is not very stable. Heat, moisture, time, ??? seem to cause it to fade to a yellow color. If the green stuff doesn't mix with water, and it does mix with DOT5, than it should be OK with DOT5...assuming it is brake fluid, that is.

Can you give us a picture? I am wondering how green in your green.

-Chuck

Heavysteven

sounds strange, mine was old and yellow. I wonder why it would be green, maybe bacteria? Wild guess.

So are you thinking about flushing? If so a power bleeder and gallon of dot 5 would do the trick.

DieselBob

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, but I have never seen green brake fluid. The DOT 5, if new should be purple and over time it turns a kind of florescent amber / yellow. I would be inclined to do a complete flush just so I know what I had. 2cents

M-35A3

When i flushed my system i put in mil spec dot 5 . I had the same green fluid come out of my lines . The color of the flushed fluid i had was the same color as the MC so iam thinking its possibly the paint that somehow got into the lines

Last edited:

kelsey palaniuk

O no, ihad the same thing,it is pentosin chf 7.1 the army uses it in cold weather vehicles,its a mineral oil used in german cars. its way better that dot.and very expensive 25$ a liter i think. i dont know if silicone and mineral mix but im sure youll find out,sorry bro.i spent 5hours research,napa about 2hours and there supplier called back after 1 hour with the same thing. I found the m35a2 i drove in the guard at a nursary garden in the bushes,I had pictures to show it was her. the owner gave it to me for my army service and he said he never touhed the mc. but ive been wrong before.:cookoo:

dozer1

I had this same experience today with my M817. Greenish yellow brake fluid came out . It has a sticker on the MC that says use silicone brake fluid only so I was good with that. It has an MC full of purple dot 5 now and purple runs through its veins as well.

Jimma

Mine came directly from Ft. Jackson and the color of the brake fluid is a golden yellow with a hint of green. This appears to be normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks