• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings From California

TB58

Most people wash their car only in the spring up there. The down side to the gravel is it is really hard on windshields. You will notice more than half the cars up there with major cracks in their windshields.

There are tons of dry cans for rent all around the area. Haven't really looked for them for sale. I have been looking for lots over 100 acres so not sure what small lots would go for. For undeveloped land 1000 an acre is a good starting point. A lot of them are on city power, but I am sure there are a few of off grid cabins to be had as well. Once you get off the main roads most everything is dirt/gravel. With the freeze/thaw cycle the dirt roads are usually better than the paved ones.

A few of the parts suppliers online sell plug in block heaters that go into a freeze plug. Another good addition is a oil pan heater. It is a silicon mat that glues to your oil pan. For your batteries I would recommend a trickle charger rather than a heating blanket. It will not only keep your batteries from freezing but will also top them off. Learned that one the hard way in my Subaru.

TB58

BnaditCorps, Sorry for completely hijacking your thread. Again welcome, lots of really cool history and information to be found on this site. you have an advantage in that you can read up on each type of vehicle and make an informed decision on which one you want to start with. I guess we all had that option but I at least found this site as a reaction to buying a Deuce.

71DeuceAk - If you have more questions about the Fairbanks area you can PM me. Got way off topic on this thread.

71DeuceAK

Yeah, that totally makes sense. Yeah, I can imagine, especially since most locals in any place drive at (At least IMO) ridiculously high speeds for unpaved roads. A grand per acre seems reasonable. One bizarre idea I've had for up there is to get a 5-ton (Preferably 939 series but whatever I can find), stick a canvas cargo tarp on, and camp out back there while building something (In the summer months of course). Could stick a little woodstove back there, etc. But it'd be short-term while building something while also going to college LOL...probably too much at once. I'd want the 5-ton for extra space.

Yeah, I was looking at Pleasant Valley on Google StreetView and everything I saw is unpaved other than the Chena Hot Springs road, which I have been on in person (Yes, going to the resort of course). I didn't even know Streetview did dirt roads until then!
Silicon mat oil pan heater? This still plugs into electricity, right?

Trickle charger? Good idea period. My truck would also possibly sit for months at a time while I'm in a place with no roads (Port Alexander, AK).

BnaditCorps

BnaditCorps, Sorry for completely hijacking your thread. Again welcome, lots of really cool history and information to be found on this site. you have an advantage in that you can read up on each type of vehicle and make an informed decision on which one you want to start with. I guess we all had that option but I at least found this site as a reaction to buying a Deuce.

71DeuceAk - If you have more questions about the Fairbanks area you can PM me. Got way off topic on this thread.
I don't have an issue with it, the more you know, but it is against the forum rules though so..yeah

AZK9

Hi BnaditCorps...

Welcome from the Central Highlands of Arizona!

You've got a lot of related interests that make a great match for this site.
There's a ton of info and awesome people here.

Enjoy the hobby!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, but I loved Boggs Mountain, and now that is all burned up :/

I live a little south of there, Solano County
Your just a little west of Sacramento. The Military Vehicle Collectors of California (MVCC) have a couple of nice MV shows in April & September at Tower Park in Lodi, CA. Just a little south of ya.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks