• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from MD

MD2500OILB

Introduction and some questions…..
I just found this site and already have learned a ton by going through some posts. Thanks to all who provide this much good information!
I own an M715 (in no running conditions at the moment) and just purchased a ’90 Dodge Tug…. just waiting for the EUC approval to pick it up.
My questions are related to the Tug. As far as I understand it is a 2WD 350 SRW 1 Ton Dodge Ram with a really short wheelbase, a 1st Gen Cummins, a 727 auto-trans and a D70 with a R&P of 7.17:1 and some kind of locker. If I’m misinformed or anybody has more info about this type of vehicles, please let me know.
Now the questions:
The truck is painted with the typical olive drab color. Does anybody know if these trucks were painted with CARC?
Has anybody gone through the process of registering one of these trucks? What documents do I get from GL that I can use to register it in MD?
About towing it, I already read a good amount of threads regarding this topic. I think that flat towing it is the better option for me (with a ¾ Ton pickup) but the bars I have are “light duty” - 5,000#. I do believe this Ram is over that. Does anybody around Frederick-Baltimore, MD or York, PA have medium bars (with foot) that I could borrow? I’m towing the Ram from northern Philly to Frederick.
Thanks again for all the good stuff all over the site and for any info/help given.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently in possession of a medium tow bar, but it does not belong to me. I live in Gaithersburg, no far from you. If you can't find another one to use, let me know. I will check with my friend to see if he would let you borrow it.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to MV Maryland. There are several on SS from the area. ALL are great individuals who will help you. There is another great guy right across the MD line (and we do not hold that against him) in Delta PA, who has helped my sons and I. No finer person than John. We are also the home of the site chaplin, Armyman30+years, who will be home soon. In 2009 I hope that we can all meet somewhere on a monthly basis. I will set this up and get it going but the group will determine what direction we go in (like where to eat, when and where to go on excursions, etc). I think we have enough guys in the area (you WVA, Va, Pa and DE guys are welcome as well) that we could pull this off. It would be kind of funny to have a family picnic so the spouses and girlfriends could get together and talk about our addiction. We could all dress up in of favorite color, green. Wecome to SS. Dudley

MD2500OILB

Mathew, no, I got "Alpha 11" @ Willow Grove, PA. I went for the one at Ft. Meade but didn't get it. I think there's another at Ft. Meade now....... looks nice from the pics.

Dudley, thank you for the welcoming. It would be great to get together and meet the group. That would put some preasure on me to get the M715 running. The truck knows I'm in need of some help to get back to her.

One question, for my original Q's regarding registration and paint, is there a better forum section to get answers?

Thanks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think I would rent a car hauling trailer from U-haul if you are going to tow it that would make it a lot easier to tow and then just drop the trailer back at your Frederick U-haul. I have flat towed quite a few trucks and in my opinion nothing beats having them on a trailer. Yes I sure hope to be home soon since I have been in Korea for 18 months now. Just waiting to see if they are going to cut my promotion on not. At any rate we are finally getting more members from Maryland and if you like to shoot too that really makes it all the better.

God bless,

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here is my experience with the MVA. It was a breeze if you had all of the info with you. However, when you start talking about a 1990 then you enter a whole new ball game. It no longer gets the historic tag and you must pass inspection. Once that is done then you take what GL sends you and head to your local MVA. Now, there is a chance that you may get the village idiot, but we have tagged 3 deuces in the last 4 months and there were no hassles. I can not help you with the paint, ask Doghead or Lifer, they seems helpful enough, but I have a CARC deuce so there is no prejudice in this family when it comes to color (camo, OD green and CARC deuces here.) I hope that helps on the tags. I leave MV history to the historians one here.

MD2500OILB

Bruce, Thanks again for the offer but I won’t need the tow bar. Will follow Armyman30+ advice with a trailer a friend of mine has and gratefully will lend to me.
Dudley, thanks for the info. I’ll go through the inspection process and hopefully get it registered…….. I only hope I don’t have to wait a year+ to get it done.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MD2500OILB: If you are interested in driving to the event in a truck, let me know. You could either drive one of mine or drive with me.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You know, I think we need to do some kinda of a weekend brunch in the Frederick area. That way we can all finally meet. Weather might be an issue but thinking Jan or Feb.

MD2500OILB

Thanks, Bruce........ what an offer! Who could refuse driving some VINTAGE GOOD OLD IRON.....

SgtH, thanks for the welcoming.

CARNAC, Frederick sounds really good ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks