• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Growler

choll

I have been looking at the growlers. I see some of the ones purchased have been released to the buyers. Does any one know if you are getting a clean SF-97 so you can register for road. I dont see a problem as they are just M151 with modifications.
Thanks
Chuck

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is from the site, but with a 6 digit VIN in Ks it would be hard. They also charge extra for that "service"

If Selected, a Standard Form 97 (SF97) or Transferable titling document will be sent to the buyer by express mail or similar service. Typically buyers will receive their SF97 within 30 business days, although it can take up to 60 Business days, from the date the buyer takes possession of the item. Transferable titling documents typically take up to 30 business day after receipt of the SF97. Buyer is responsible for vehicle registration.

DREDnot

I dont see a problem as they are just M151 with modifications.
The growlers are not M151 based at all.

And M151s are notorious for not being able to be registered for on road use. They had dangerous handling issues and most were cut up so as to be unusable .

As cool as the growler seems to be, As narrow and unstable as they are I doubt they will see much legal road time.

Id use it like a heavy duty side by side. Not as fast, but more unique

1143908_6002_106_0001.jpg

1143908_6163_6659_0001.jpg

m1161

Good Afternoon Folks,
Newbie here. My M1161 arrived. Fantastic vehicle. Waiting for the SF 97. EUC's are slow but do happen. Mine came from Yermo, CA. Air systems work, tire inflation great. Engine and trans. all perfect. Canvas has to go to a shop for repairs on zippers and "windows". Like my M-151A2, should be no problem in NJ for the street. There are absolutely no similarities between the 1161 and the 151. Would not be interested in any from GA. Bought a 2nd one and going thru the "process" again. Pneumatically complicated but easy to interpret with some electro-mechanical skills. Called Yermo to ask about manuals and they don't think there are any! ! Only 1600 were made, he said. Marine friends are trying to locate the TM's.
Love the little beast.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The growlers are not M151 based at all.

And M151s are notorious for not being able to be registered for on road use. They had dangerous handling issues and most were cut up so as to be unusable .

As cool as the growler seems to be, As narrow and unstable as they are I doubt they will see much legal road time.

Id use it like a heavy duty side by side. Not as fast, but more unique

View attachment 776274

View attachment 776275
The safety issues you mentioned are real, but, for the most part, they were rectified with the A2. However, your point about not being able to put a MUTT on the road legally is not correct. I've had several, and all of them were legally tagged and insured.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Extra parts? Well for now my guess and simplest would be to buy another and have a near complete parts source. Not very many built, no support for parts even tho the military has to have something in a warehouse somewhere.

For now the 1161 will be sold until supply is exhausted. Then I would bet that all the sudden the parts will be found, horded to drive up cost. If I had to support one I would buy a complete, semi complete unit as that will be more cost effective than buying a single replacement part.

As for the shop manual, TM, If the manufacturer has none to which that is hard to believe as the Military may require one, what do you tell your equipment buyer? Your out, unlikely but the better reason would be a liability issue now that the 1161 is being surplussed out.

Good luck, and buy another unit.

m1161

New Guy here again, regarding extra parts; that's initially why I bought the second M1161. It had loads of extras on board i.e, trailer hitch tray(2), winch(s) and spare tire! But it wasn't started and tested. However it was a gamble and if it's in good shape, it's not for parts. I did note in going over my 1161 that wiring is not of the standard military grade. Connectors are very off-the-shelf types. The tire inflation system is strictly a civilian unit. Synflex hoses are used throughout and the connectors and Y's are off the shelf. Pneumatic cylinders and rams don't look like they're anything special. Speedometer is foreign made. The engine is from Brazil but tens of thousands of them are in service in "American" vehicles. Turbo runs fine.
FWIW, somewhere I saw a comment about limited steering by a new owner. That's true, turning radius is terrible if the 1161 is "down". It's not designed to ride in the down position. The front wheels are limited in their turning. It has to be in one of the "raised" positions via the elevation controller for driving. Turning radius is fine at that setting. I had to drill holes in the front window hinges and insert PB Blaster to unfreeze the window hinges. I read somewhere on the net that the power train is all off-the-shelf from an American auto mfr. It's a spunky machine and I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from others on this forum.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I would try and source some of the electrical switches, sensors, relays. But economically it would very well make sense to use as many common parts as possible on any assembly. But after the units were sold the one common request was for an assembly manual. Why is that?

The TM's would make locating individual parts easier, however if they only make enough for the model run plus a 10% replacement part inventory then the manufacturer will not order more parts until their is enough demand to make the part economical to produce. Otherwise a different part is either reproduced at the ok of the patent holder or a whole different part is needed.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
What is surprising to me is that they are not demilling or crushing the units after the safety problems involved. It would be of interest to give out the information rather than the vehicle being altered and then either improving or making the stability problem worse.

I would think that their are propriety parts involved in the assembly. After all it was designed for a limited purpose use. As much as the units initial cost was there is a lot of growler parts only involved. The more you make, then the unit cost goes down, as new upgrades are applied then old parts are discarded for the new parts so again the first run units become unserviceable because of no new replacement parts.

Kind of a catch 22.

killjoy35

FYI,
After numerous phone calls, I did get an email from Chrystal, at Growler, she said she was working on getting parts set back up? This was approximately 3 months ago and she did send a follow up email 2 months ago. No contact for past 2 months.

KY35

jmpogue89

Got mine from the same place. Real dusty but cleaned up nice and looks and runs great. If you get a chance, can you post some clear pictures of the frame the top attaches to? I'm missing some of that stuff and looking to fabricate the missing parts.
Thanks
Justin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks