• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun mount! Now will i go to JAIL?

hot rod deuce

Does anyone have any ideas on the laws about the whole gun mount thing on to op of my m35?Not sure about minnesota anyway. They put them on jeeps and run through paradaes. Maybe it just needs to have an orange barel and be a dummy.

ida34

I can't say for Mn. but the mount itself should not be a problem. Some states do have laws that non-guns (resin, metal dummy guns) must have the orange painted on the tip of the barrel. In MI this is not a problem. If you drive around with a realistic looking gun several people will call in and you will probably be pulled over and handcuffed at gun point until it can be sorted out. As for real guns, in MI a long gun must be secured in a compartment not accessable from the drivers compartment. The only securable place I know of on a deuce is the lockable toolbox. One could ad a lockable toolbox in the back. It is almost to obvious to say but they must be unloaded also. If you are in a parade then display probably would not be a problem but to and from I would stow any thing that looked like a weapon. Maybe someone from MN knows better but this gives you an idea at least.

hot rod deuce

Yeah im not looking to drive around with it up there, Would be neat thought. Anyway, i was going to cut the whole in the REAR half of my crew cab with a lockable hatch. All the minnesota law says as that it needs to be in the "trunk" or a case. The passanger area wouldnt be "easily" accesed from the drivers seat.

rmgill

Down here in Georgia, it'd be legal for me to drive around with a real M2 on my Deuce if I was so inclined. Just don't actively point it at anyone and I'm good. I prefer that amount of latitude personally.

readyman

The M2 canvas covers are $75 at Crane, you could drive around with a 2 x 4 and broomhandle under it. 8) And leave the M2 in the transit case until you get to the destination(or need to clear a path in traffic). :)
Check out the 'brandishing' laws of your state... in IL I'm even wondering about the canvas cover?

Jones

Calif law says that if "reasonable people" (yeah, like we have a lot of those out here) believe that a real gun is under the cover, it's a real gun!?! 4X6 and broomstick or not. When did common sense and logic disappear over the horizon.

FrankUSMC

Just use commom sence. Here in NC, I drove my jeep with the 50 mounted on it, and never got stopped. When I got my M1919A4, I took a photo of it to the sheriff to be on the safe side. They told me to keep the photo they already knew about the stuff I had and I was a good guy.
Now... here is some thing that happens down here every once in a couple of years. Some one will pull up close behind a Marine convoy and one of the marines will point a M16 at them. It hits the news big time as Mom and the kids in the car swear they were just moments from being blown away. So, if any one is riding in your truck with you and thinks it would be funny to point the dummy gun at a car, school bus, or some one on the street, it could get you in to a little heat.
One of the few, Frank

67Beast

I drive around with my .50 cal on my M715 always. It is a resin replica and I added two orange bands of tape to the end of the barrel. I asked a local sherrif about it and he said that as long as they could clearly see the orange they wouldn't bother me. Makes you wonder if you added the orange to the barrel of a real one if anyone would bother you with it.?

ida34

A locked case in the back of a m1009 would work for not accessable. The key is a locked case, Ammo in a seperate case, and both cases as far away from the driver as possible. A locking toolbox in the bed would be best. Remember accessable does not just mean the driver. It would also include anyone that could ride in the passenger compartment. Again this is Michigan law. Many States have similar language. Your local laws may be more like Georgia law and many other southern states laws. I suspect that MN laws would be more similar to MI law rather than Georgia law. If all else fails ask local law enforcement about it and ask for the page reference so you can look it up yourself. Also talk to your local prosecutor since he or she will be more knowledgeable about how the local judges interpret the laws. The same law prosecuted and tried by different courts will yield different results. Local law enforcement should have a better idea of what flies and what does not.

Low-Tech-Redneck

I can only echo what's been suggested, ask your local law enforcement agency first, and don't draw too much attention to yourself and everything should be fine.

rizzo

67Beast said:
I drive around with my .50 cal on my M715 always. It is a resin replica and I added two orange bands of tape to the end of the barrel. I asked a local sherrif about it and he said that as long as they could clearly see the orange they wouldn't bother me. Makes you wonder if you added the orange to the barrel of a real one if anyone would bother you with it.?

do you have some more pics of that gun and mount? what was the cost?

ida34

Rizzo,
I am from the Ann Arbor area. Have you ever been to Ann Arbor? This setup would generate alot of complaints from the hippy flower power throwbacks. They are all into people doing their own thing like decriminalizing pot but if they ever saw a Ma Deuce they would be the first ones calling the cops trying to get it removed. The fact that it was a resin replica would not matter. This is a representation of a killing machine to them.
One more thought, lately there have been alot of armed robberys involving realistic looking airsoft guns. At present the state attorney general for Michigan has ruled that one could not be charge with a concealed weapon for having it ( it fires a projectile which constitutes a weapon in some places). I bet there will be some sort of push to put some legislation in place relating to airsofts and other realistic looking non-weapon. Stupid people doing stupid things with stuff like this will surely end up with all of us paying the price for the idiots. I hate the restrictive auto weapons laws in Michigan and wish they would change but until then I will just have to abide by them. I am working on a ringmount deal right now and will be ordering a resin m2 until I can afford the money to purchase a semiauto m2. I would not take the real gun to shows though I would take the resin model.

67Beast

rizzo said:
67Beast said:

do you have some more pics of that gun and mount? what was the cost?
There are pics on my site http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm that show the mounts. I paid $150 for mine on ebay. This is the guy I got mine from, he has them up for sale quite frequently. http://cgi.ebay.com/MA2-MA-DEUCE-RE...ryZ36065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jasonjc

One of the local police saw my resin M2 in my shop and wanted it mounted on top of his car. The only reason I could see me getting stoped here is if they wanted for them selfes.
As for dumb people doing stupid things let's just make stupid people illegal!!! It would make life better for all of us.
Jason

FrankUSMC

I was reading one of the post above about locking the ammo in a box.
I was talking the other day to a co-worker from up north and he made the statement about when he carries his pistol here in North Carolina he puts the pistol on the seat and the ammo in the trunk of his car. I told him I know why you put the pistol on the seat because here it has to be seen in your vehicle or on your body (or get a concelled weapons permit), but why do you put the ammo in the trunk? He said it is the law. I mumbled something about maybe up north, as I called my local police officer on the phone. I told him what my friend had said, I then let my co-worker speak to the officer. the police officer told my friend if he was going to put his pistol ammo in the trunk of the car, then he needs to go a by a hammer, because that is all the pistol is at this point with out ammo, an $$$ hammer. my co-worker got a good laugh out it, and now knows he can carry the pistol loaded.
One of the few, Frank

N1265

FYI :

From what I was told, It is a Federal offence to place any orange or red markings on the barrel of a real firearm..... It is also a Federal offence to remove any orange or red markings from a toy gun that has come from the manufacture with such markings.

However this may not be true.... Because I heard it from a police officer ! :roll:

FrankUSMC

Never heard that before, could not even see it being enforced. If I get a dummy 1919 from CA. or a state that requires red on the end of a barrel, it is coming off when it gets here. NC does not require it. That is why I do not think it is a fed. law, I think it is at state level.
As far as putting a red tip on the end of your barrel of a real gun, every blank adapter I saw in the Military was red and went on the end of a real gun. So, once again, maybe some thing at the state level.
But, I am open minded, so if some one has proof, this would be a great to know.
One of the few, Frank

ida34

Federal regulations may require orange tips on toy guns but that does not make it a federal offense to remove it. It is also a federal offense to destroy a mailbox. When was the last time you saw an FBI agent take a report for a damaged mailbox? My point is there are alot of federal laws that are passed as feel good measures that never get prosecuted by the Feds. For anyone that has removed the label from a matress this is also a federal mandated item. Watch out the FBI is still working up a case for you. My point goes back to what I said before. A law is not interpreted or prosecuted the same in different jurisdictions. Local laws are more likely to be enforced than federal laws. That is why mailbox destoyers are usually prosecuted under the local vandalism laws instead of federal law. If you blew up a mailbox with a bomb killing several people you would probably be prosecuted by the feds so don't kill anyone with your dummy gun and you do not need to worry. This is all coming from a police officer. I will make one cautionary note. Many thugs are getting realistic airsofts and painting the tips black so that they can use them for armed robberys. This may cause more laws against removing the orange and enhanced enforcement efforts. Remember if they are charging the thugs with removing the orange they also have to charge anyone else removing them.

baja_power

ida34 said:
It is also a federal offense to destroy a mailbox. When was the last time you saw an FBI agent take a report for a damaged mailbox?
Every year snowplows destroy mailboxes here on a weekly basis when we have snow... but i have yet to see a high speed chase on CNN involving an ODOT truck and the FBI :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks