• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HAC-36-V4B Climate control unit

MrShawn305

So someone near me is selling one of these units. It shows 10kw heat output and 38k BTU cooling. I can likely get it for about $250. Is it worth it? I would use it out here in the west texas heat for events and such so it will get used, but I don't know how good these units are. If it's not working and needs a charge, I'll have to convert it as the tag calls for 16.1lb of R-22. Any thoughts on these units? Really just trying to get people's impression of them.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure its the same unit but I had an S-280 comm shelter and it had two Heat/cooling units mounted to the top front of the shelter I didnt try to get them working nor did I test them because they needed some very different voltage for them sorry I dont remember exactly but it was like 280 volts to power these units, I am not an electrician and honestly I dont have any clue how to make voltage like these units wanted? Because of THIS I stripped them and used the enclosures for something else. Sorry I am not much help to you.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R-22 is still readily available, so I'm not sure why you would have to convert it.

MrShawn305

R-22 is still readily available, so I'm not sure why you would have to convert it.
R22 was phased out 1 Jan of 2020 I believe. Or maybe it was 2019. I can't remember, but basically it is now going the way of R12. It's still out there, but they price is really high per pound. I can get 407c alot cheaper and just take the time to convert it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R22 was phased out 1 Jan of 2020 I believe. Or maybe it was 2019. I can't remember, but basically it is now going the way of R12. It's still out there, but they price is really high per pound. I can get 407c alot cheaper and just take the time to convert it.
I suppose that is understandable, as it allows for any work necessary in the future to be done less expensively if the system needs the refrigerant changed out/recharged again.

So how about R422b then? It's not that much more expensive than the 407c is, but doesn't require you to change out the oil, flush the system, and replace the receiver dryer. Supposedly a direct replacement with only small efficiency loss in comparison to R22.

Not trying to argue, just wondering what the pros/cons of upgrading the refrigerant other than the cost/availability factor.

(I did a nordic air 3 ton ECU last year with R-22, bought a bigger bottle than I needed in case I ever have to charge it again, so I'm good for now, but you never know what the future might bring so just trying to understand other thought processes)

MrShawn305

I suppose that is understandable, as it allows for any work necessary in the future to be done less expensively if the system needs the refrigerant changed out/recharged again.

So how about R422b then? It's not that much more expensive than the 407c is, but doesn't require you to change out the oil, flush the system, and replace the receiver dryer. Supposedly a direct replacement with only small efficiency loss in comparison to R22.

Not trying to argue, just wondering what the pros/cons of upgrading the refrigerant other than the cost/availability factor.

(I did a nordic air 3 ton ECU last year with R-22, bought a bigger bottle than I needed in case I ever have to charge it again, so I'm good for now, but you never know what the future might bring so just trying to understand other thought processes)
I'm not really familiar with the different refrigerants other than 12 and 134, and now 1234yf. The experience I have with refrigeration is pretty much limited to automotive / heavy duty (trucks) applications. 422b sounds like it would be a better alternative. The thought process is as follows: If it's working, don't touch it. If it's not performing like it should, evac and convert. I'll sell the R22 to help cover the cost of the 422b. Gives me an excuse to quit procrastinating and get my 608. I should have just done that to begin with instead of getting the 609 only.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks