• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand pre-oiler update

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished most of the plumbing today with a checkvalve installed to help matters.
The pump is a fuel transfer pump designed to dispense fuel from a drum. In this application it also worked and by measuring the level drop in the oil pan, about ten strokes put 3 to 4 qts into the canisters and oil cooler.
Current problems: Sucktion and feed lines are to small, have to pump at a slower rate and I cannot get any pressure to register on the oil pressure gauge.

The low oil pressure should not be real problem since the oil pressure should come up quickly with the oil canisters filled.

The batteries were run down and are now being recharged.... should be able to run the engine tomorrow...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the LDS465-2 this morning.
I have a sticky governor situation and used the fuel stop lever manually to control rpm.
The engine started almost instantly and the oil pressure built up within seconds (ten strokes on the pump before start). However it raced up to 2,000 rpm plus and I could only control it with the fuel stop lever (the shut-off solenoid is removed at the moment). Sitting next to the engine makes it possible to reach down and manipulate the lever on the IP. The oil pressure was steady at 45 psi.

When I started the engine last year, the fuel supply was very limited and it stayed at idle, this time with full supply it was different. But man! does that engine sound good at 2,000 rpm, real "boss", isn't that what the kids say now.

I ran it several times, air pressure was building up, but there is a small leak at a connection along the frame. Not much smoke except for a brownish cloud the first time.

Before any further testing, the IP problem must be taken care of and it looks like the cab tub has to be lifted off for access...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try taking the linkage off of the arm on the pump. If the pump isn't going all the way back to the idle stop, when it's started, with no load on it, it will ramp up to anywhere in between low idle and rated RPM.

area52

Hey Bjorn,

whats the device on top of the valve cover, with the large rubber hose out the back? Some sort of oil vapor recovery?

that hand oiler looks nice, glad to hear its running good.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bjorn!

Looking good! Nice hand pump. I have 4 of those heated fuel filters but I didn't know what they were, now I do!

Question, what originally went behind the driver? storage? a rear seat for really short people?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
area52 said:
Hey Bjorn,

whats the device on top of the valve cover, with the large rubber hose out the back? Some sort of oil vapor recovery?....
It's the crankcase breather valve, it vents permanently to the exhaust pipe and can be pressurized for under water ops. The whole engine is waterproof without preps for fording and swimming.

Will, I'll check that, the shut-off lever is also sluggish.

Adam, that space is supposed to be for the spare tire, I'll stick it on the platform behind the cab.
Those Racor filters are perfect for primary fuel filters (choice of 10, 20 or 30 micron). The filter element is treated with a water repellent so it's also a water separator and the transparent cup below shows all.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Bjorn, is your hand-pumped pre-oiler intended to be a permanent part of the vehicle, or is it a temporary addition for reviving the engine from its long nap?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an experiment as so many other ones on my trucks. It may or may not stay, there are better pumps and when I can afford it, an electric.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks