• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hardtop

bozozimbo

When I bought my truck it had the camo softtop. I was really wanting a hardtop.
As I posted here a while back, I found a nice hardtop in Utah. I stripped it today prepped and painted it.....its now on my truck and it really improved the looks.

It was a lot more work to install than I was expecting but well worth the effort.

Pics to follow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I'm at the opposite end of the world. I've bought 3 trucks with hardtops and got rid of them all. I'm sure they are more practical for everyday use but I just love the looks and feel of a softtop. The insulated soft tops are much cooler here in the FL sun for sure.

bozozimbo

Out here in the desert....unlike Florida with its humidity....fabrics dry up and fade really quickly. I have had this truck for just a few months and was already seeing an almost new camo cab top starting to degrade, so in that respect ittself a hardtop here is much more practical. AND....my truck is desert sand camo....softtops of desert sand are unobtainable as everything that color that would be surplussed is being used in Iraq.

I was watching the news a few nights ago watching an Iraqi convoy of M35s with all sand tops and cargo covers. Man I would sure hate to have to outrun a roadside bomb in an M35.

Blake

Kenny,

I just ripped the hardtop off my USMC deuce. I think the canvas top looks more "military", and since it stays in the warehouse, I dont have to worry about the sun ruining the canvas top.

Also, How are you suppose to go deepwater fording with a hardtop anyway....you would suffocate. So off went the hardtop! Better have some good ear plugs because that truck is a screamer!

It made its first debut in the portmouth memorial day parade wit the new look, with the top off and the windshield folded down with the deep water fording kit sticking up and that thing looked killer!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang Blake, where's the pics man? You guys need to see Blake's USMC deuce, it's tough!

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the hard tops, but the canvas is cool too. Got neither right now, as I just picked up the rig and its sans a lid. Here in the desert, I gotta believe canvas is the way to go vs. vinyl. But, like others, I want to do the desert scheme and sand colored tops are nowhere to be found. I've got a CONSEW industrial upholstery sewing machine I use for other projects. Would like to try my hand at fabbing a top. Anyone out there got a trashed one that would be suitable for a pattern they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable coin. I just can't afford $200 plus for a new unit to disassemble for a pattern. If I can find a supplier for the hardware (and I think I can), we could have soft tops made from any fabric. Hey, how about that zebra stripe for your 2 1/2 cruise machine. I don't have time to make tops for everyone, but I'd be willing to post the patterns, etc to help everyone out. Any thoughts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, you need to check out Cranetrucks self manufactured bikini top. Its way cool and practical. If it didn't rain 3" every afternoon here, I might consider one.

bozozimbo

Thanks Bill. Over the course of my life I have restored half a dozen Chevy shoeboxes and too many other cars to list. This truck has been much more fun.....besides bringing back some of my youth. I was an 18 year old sailor once upon a time. A CPO yelled at the detail I was with...."who can drive a truck"...I raised my hand figuring I was gonna wind up with a wheelbarrow......he sent me and another guy over to a Grey M35 and showed me how to start it. I was detailed to haul mattresses all day.
Ive wanted one since that day.....that was in 71...now I have a 72 duece.

rdixiemiller

I have a canvas top that is currently on the way to Berg supply to make a pattern. They can make them up in whatever military material you want, since they do desert sand camo covers for the USMC LAV's now. I'll keep you posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks