• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harquahala Peak, Arizona in an M1009

ragedracer

Finally got my title from GL, so I decided to take the family for a trip. We drove up to the top of Harquahala Peak in Southwestern AZ. You can drive all the way to the top, which is about 6000'. Very steep, unmaintained roads. The road up is about 9 miles long in which you start essentially at sea level. Had to use 4 low on much of the trip (up AND down) due to the steep grades. 2wd would just spin the rears, and in 4H, the 6.2l didn't have enough grunt to pull it up.

At the top is an old observatory from the 1920's. They used it to try to predict weather patterns. Also, is a control station for all the canals in Southern AZ. Big microwave towers, solar panels, etc. It is used to remotely open and close locks on the waterways as needed.

My family had a great time. Even took my 1 month old son for his first 4WD trip. He loved it as much as the rest of us.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

ragedracer

Nice pics. Truck looks nice and solid. Your dog camera shy?

It ran fantastic. It has no rust, except for a tiny bit at the TOP of the door frame. Go figure. 4wd works great. Its a little creaky, because all the rubber in the window frames is bad. I need to order a kit from LMC or JC Whitney and re do it all.

My dog just hardly ever stays still long enough to take a picture. :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks