• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone heard of a "hot line trailer"

GoinNutts

The description is "Y-0905, Pitman Manufacturing Company Division, Hot Line Trailer"
Saw it on GL and was wondering what it was. Tried goggling it and did not get to far so any help would be appreciated.

F18hornetM

A hot line trailer is made to store "hot" sticks in. They are used by lineman to handle "hot" lines or energized power lines. We have one where I work and rarely used anymore. They were more common used when lineman climbed poles and did hot work from the pole. Nowadays, with insulated aerial devices, they are seldom used...ous hasnt moved in years. Every truck we have has several "hot" sticks on the trucks, but they are used to remove cut-outs, [fuses] or open disconnects etc.. also in the old days, the hot sticks were wooden so the trailers were usually heated..to keep then dry. Now everything is fiberglass, so not as big as issue..

F18hornetM

Pitman made bucket trucks but were more noted for digger derricks. Diggers were pretty tough, the few pitman buckets we had sucked. Can you guess, I work for an electric Company and have worked on all this equipment for almost 25 years. Ihavent seen the trailer in GL but sounds like what I described.
I was up in Pa awhile back and Versalift east, a upfitter was installing diggers on IH chassis for the Canada. They were were solid green, and 4x4. Looked cool

Last edited:

Stonepicker1