• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone shortened their truck's wheelbase?

DMgunn

Hey guys.

My 5-ton is too long for my needs, and I've been trying to decide if a shortening is something I should tackle myself. I would like to move the tandems forward approximately 3 feet. Of course, just ahead of the suspension pivot point, the frame is double-wall, and significantly larger dimensionally. Also, the rivets are very substantial, and the whole job looks quite irritating, but do-able. I would have both sections of the rear driveshaft shortened an equal amount (I think), and that would be done professionally. Otherwise, I have time, tools, and the help of some big guys.

Has anyone done this, and - miracle of miracles - documented it?

Of course, the second question - what does it generally cost for such a job done professionally?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Has anyone shortened their truck

We have a new member who bought one shortened. He might get you pics. Other than that, I would imagine all you need is time and a torch. Wish you were closer, I'd like to help on a project like that.

M1075

RE: Has anyone shortened their truck

Yeah, you are looking at a lot of work. And you are not just doing a "bob" like many deuce guys have. You have a the XLWB chassis with the reinforced frame as you mention. 5 ton stuff is much, much larger than deuce stuff. And bridge trucks are even bigger! The trade idea sounds like a good one. If I were closer, I might work with you on a trade for a Multifuel tractor.

DMgunn

RE: Re: RE: Has anyone shortened their truck

Yeah.........

See........here's the thing. This is North Dakota, where there are no MVs hanging from tree branches (except for M135/211s, of which I have seen 3 in the last yr). In fact, mine is the ONLY 5-ton I have EVER seen in person, with the exception of the newer-generation active NG trucks. Pretty sure my local unit isn't interested in a trade..... so, do I spend big bucks transporting my truck to trade someone for a tractor whose condition is unknown? No. Besides, I could never let it go - I'd just have to add the tractor. Another bad plan, since my next OD vehicle MUST be a Unimog 406. So, I am left with "adjusting" my OAL to make it more manageable, and IMO, much sexier - as far as MVs go.

Thanks for the alternative ideas, but I am going ahead....as soon as I know which direction to go. I'm not afraid of the work, I just don't want any nasty surprises (read: time delays while it is immobile in someone else's shop). Was hoping to hear from someone who has done this.

m.walker

shortened 5 ton

My friend got my old M55 took one rear axle moved it forward , put it on a pair of front duece springs and mounted it all up . Then discarded everything else .He moved it forward enough to do away with one of the driveshafts so he can still use a stock shaft for replacement parts . The wheelbase is set up so he can use a 105 bed on the truck . He flipped the rear hubs and is running 14x20 bridge truck single tires on stock 5 ton rims . The rivets on the rear suspension weren't that hard to remove , and you could remove most of the reinforcing plate on the sides of the frame and just move your whole set of tandems forward . I was going to do what you described but I ran across my M52 , I think a shortened bridge truck would be COOL ! It would be like a tractor but with the bigger rubber and wider stance . Mark

DMgunn

RE: shortened 5 ton

m.walker - I also prefer the wider stance. I think it will look very aggressive, even more than it already does.

Devilman - I had thought about that for awhile. So many benefits........all of which I want. But I just like tandem trucks. Few things are as satisfying to me as watching a pair of tires turning in unison over any obstacle they come across.

BTW, when are we going to see some updates on your beautiful deuce project?

Blythewoodjoe

We used to shorten our own trucks from time to time. All civilian trucks. We would buy Ryder trucks with boxes on the back, remove the box, shorten and take to the shop that would put the dump bed on the back. Haven't done it in years now. It was fairly simple if the frame was the same width. It sounds like you are wanting to move the connection point to a location that might be double framed?

In my opinion (remember the connection between those and a-holes) would be to be very mindful of position. Move the unit as a whole when ever possible and find a point to measure on each side to ensure you put everything back proportionally. Check to see what will collide with what when you move the axles. Fuel tank, air tanks, brake lines and wiring are all potential problems.

Put the weight of the truck on the springs so nothing is in a bind before you drill the holes. It takes a special drill or one hale of man to drill them. I have no special drill :twisted: Use grade 8 bolts on everything. Don't weld the frame if you can avoid it. We used to stretch some trucks and add frame to them. I have never liked welding to the frame but lots of big dump trucks running down the road every day have welded frames. In fact we did shorten a few by cutting out a section of frame and welding it back together. I never liked that technique.

It's not that complicated but it is easy to mess up. I assume you are removing the bed before you start. Much easier to do any work on a truck with out the bed. Once the axles are loose you just roll them forward. Keep in mind there will be a lot of weight above the center line of the axles that will want to move down when you are rolling. Don't get cut in half.

Keep us posted and if you want more of the old opinion or actual experience PM me.

Good luck,
Joe Trapp

PS. NO, I have not done everything. I still haven't went skydiving :wink:

DMgunn

Thank you Joe, opinion, but more importantly, experience, is what I am looking for. My plan is to remove the doubled steel portion up to just in front of where the axles will end up, so it will look exactly like it does now. I will move the tandems as a unit, so there will be no geometry to re-calculate. I really expect it to be fairly straightforward, but physically difficult. Brake lines, driveshafts, air lines, and taillight wiring won't be a problem. I am mostly concerned about knocking out the rivets, and removing the section of double-wall. My father-in-law has one of those cool circular saws made for cutting steel. Would it be a death sentence to use that on a WIDE piece of flat in an attempt to get a perfect cut? I assume I can set the depth just right, but am concerned that the saw won't have enough "juice" to do it, having never used the thing before. There will be no welding. I will simply (well, hopefully simply) move the axles forward, then lop off the frame at the rear. Of course the bed will be off, and either shortened, or replaced with a drop-side of some kind.

P.S. NO, I have not done everything either, but DO strongly recommend skydiving. :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you are going to remove the rivets be warned that they are hot rivets. Even once the head is gone you will most likely need to drill them to relieve the tension on them. If you are going to re-drill the frame, I strongly suggest you source a mag drill. Any other way is going to be way labor intensive. Not difficult work but labor intensive. You could always pattern cut the frame too. Check out the Diablo Build thread to see how Mike did that on his broom.

DMgunn

I haven't used one, but am planning to find a magnetic drill. Even if I have to rent one, it should be well worth it. Thanks for the tip on the Diablo thread. I'll have to re-read that one, and pay more attention to details this time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

For the price of a mag drill, why not use a plasma cutter? I have one, working on getting the other, those drills are just so expensive!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks