• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone used a Uhaul dolly to tow a M1009

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Im not sure what brand of dolly uhaul uses, so I was wondering if it can be done. Uhaul states that the M1009 is to heavy for the dolly. Will the tires fit on it? I am sure someone has tried it. If not, I will be looking for a tow bar in southern cAli. Thanks

mangus580

Uhaul dolly's are normally only rated for 3500 pounds or so..... with the 1009 weighing in at 5500.... ;-)

Making a towbar for a 1009 wouldnt be that hard.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a tow dolly to tow my car with the motor home. I used it once and am going to sell it. They are a pain in the butt! Get the tow bar. Backing up with a tow dolly is just about impossible especially if it has a swiveling deck.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

The other day when my M1028 head gasket failed, the tow truck driver picked it up from the front and towed it about one mile before switching to the rear. After towing it for 30 miles at 55mph(trans neutral, tcase 2wd), my speedo no longer worked (dont know why, havent looked yet). So the lesson for me is to get a trailer that can carry the new m1009.

dilvoy

An M1009 won't fit on U hauls dollies because of the wide wheels. An M1008 will, but the locking hub part will rub on the plastic fenders of the tow dolly.I have towed both with the U haul and I brought along some wheels from my Jeep truck to put on the front of the Blazer so I would fit. Now I use the military tow bar and use a brake buddy. The military towbars really need two people to hitch them up but I seem to manage with a high lift jack and I haven't scratched anything yet. Before I found my tow bar, I started renting tow dollies from a company called United rentals. Their units are wider and can carry a heavier load. When I get a deal on a trailer I'll use that from then on. I think it is safer.

m35a2cowner

Tow Bar

I use to work for U-Haul and we used the rental tow bars to move the large rental trucks. They are really stout. You might have to rig up a ball on your MV. But. that allows you to tow other things as well. I have see deuces with receivers that are welded on in places that don't really show. Use a large drop insert.

motorolanut

If you two the truck or blazer, Yank both drive shafts off, It is bad to tow a automatic tranny for more than a couple miles even if the transfer case is set for 2 wheel high.

m35a2cowner

I agree

I agree with removing the shafts (KD Tools makes a tool to plug output shaft of Tranny) I welded a tranny or two in my day. Automatics and standards suffer if you tow them very far.

Guruman

Not so new member
I once used a U-Haul dolly to retrieve a 1009 from about 300 miles away. The tires hung off both sides of the tire well of the dolly. And the nylon tie downs did not reach. I had to use a chain and binder to strap it down. It barely fit, and was WAY overloaded. Completly unsafe. But made it home. just don't tell U-Haul what you are doing.

motorolanut

Yes the main message here is: You can replace a vehicle, BUT you cannot replace your LIFE!! be safe for yourself and others whatever you decide to do...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks