• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has my new M1008 been converted to 12v?

my69camaro

I bought a 1986 M1008 on eBay a few weeks ago and noticed while picking it up there is only one battery and one alternator. It runs, drives, and starts fine. Was used by a fire department as a plow truck.

I don't have a volt meter or anything but going off of that I would assume it has been converted to a 12v system.

And if that's the case, does that mean the starter and glow plugs are different than the standard military setup.

Thanks

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, it's 12 volt. The starter has been replaced with a 12v but the glow plugs were 12v to begin with. They were fed 24v through a resistor on the firewall that dropped it to 12v. That way you could 'slave' start (jump) start from another NATO vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks