• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gasket

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, can you send me some additional information on the "new" head gasket? I just installed 2005 peoduction, from Continental Engines two new head gaskets. They are red, have vents, and separate fire rings. The Continental manual indicates a single re-torque after coming to full temp and the re-torque is to be done at not less than 165 degrees.

New and improved information will be greately appreciated.

houdel

Squirt truck, it sounds like you have the "new" gaskets. As best I can recall, the newest version had vents and separate fire rings (although I think the first generation gaskets had separate fire rings also). And yes, you do have to retorque after a few hours of operation; one of the TMs also mentions periodic retorquing but I do not recall a specific time period, maybe annually?

I'd like to know where you got your gaskets from as well, would you be so kind as to post it here for all of us to see?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an issue that we (all of us with multi-fuel engines) need to get resolved. It is my understanding that the head gasket is the weak link of the design, based on extreme compression pressures, and a dry sleeve environment. I have no pictures of the gaskets I installed, they were from Continental Engines, Ms. McDougal was the person that handled my order. They were new, current production, shipped on 19 December 2005. The paperwork indicates that this head gasket is for ALL multi-fuel engines.
Question is...has someone developed a better one piece gasket, or is the one piece just an acceptable alternative that is easier to handle? I see a lot of diesel head gaskets in my line of work and I do not recall ever seeing a one piece unit. (Still sounds like a great idea to me, I hate dealing with the fire rings and getting the compression clearances to match..)
FYI, the ONLY parts not in the current Continent Engines Set are the orange silicone injector stem seals, but they do not go bad so no big deal.

Thoughts??

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a small leak starting below the #1 exh. port. I think it's probably the h. gas, because the leak feels like it's between the gasket and block. The difference in torque is for the blocks. 130 Ft lb for blocks w/o TD casting, 157 for blocks w/ td casting. I re-torqued all of the external nuts, they all moved a bit, seems to have stopped the leak---for now. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell what version head gaskets are installed from the outside, like a tab or notches or???

houdel

You may not have a problem. I recall reading that certain gaskets were made with weep channels leading to the outside of the head to allow trapped between the head and block to escape. I don't recall the source for certain, but I think it was a PS magazine article. Perhaps someone like Bjorn might recall the exact details.

MATT

I believe the newer head gaskets have tabs protruding outward above the engine plate. Can anyone verify??

rwelker

Squirt-truck, do you have a phone number for Cotinental engines? I'm unable to get one. Or a web site that I can reference. Thanks, Rick.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The current gaskets do have tabs that extend out just under each exhaust port. They are to allow compression venting so as not to completely blow the gasket. The number for Continental Engines is 800.922.5632. Yes Hercules is still producing these engines, they are very well received for MV retrofits and for use in the field where fuel quality can change dramatically.

Red Devils, what does your dealer say about the gaskets?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks