• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heading to Fairbanks to drive home my first FMTV!

Chism

Update: Talked with NC Machinery today. They’ve been great to work with so far. Engine checks out strong. Wasn’t blowby

Rear main seal and flywheel housing seal...secondarily, the waste gate solenoid is intermittently sticking open.

estimate pending....they jokingly offered to buy it from me if the estimate was too high

May likely drive it to Anchorage for less expensive labor costs...which they actually recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Update: Talked with NC Machinery today. They’ve been great to work with so far. Engine checks out strong. Wasn’t blowby

Rear main seal and flywheel housing seal...secondarily, the waste gate solenoid is intermittently sticking open. ...
Waste gait seal sounds to be the main culprit. Wounder if that would pressurize things to create the burping of oil. Might even cause oil to push out the other two seals they mention. Just does not add up to me the rear main and flywheel effecting the burps. Ask them that cause rear main and flywheel seals would think they'd not effect where you seemed to see it burp out. (since they do not call it "blowby"). Maybe specifically ask about what they did to verify the other turbo seals mentioned in earlier post are not an issue??

but hey that is just me... and Im no mechanic..... and didn't play one in a long running TV series either.

Last edited:

Chism

Waste gait seal sounds to be the main culprit. Wounder if that would pressurize things to create the burping of oil. Might even cause oil to push out the other two seals they mention. Just does not add up to me the rear main and flywheel effecting the burps. Ask them that cause rear main and flywheel seals would think they'd not effect where you seemed to see it burp out. (since they do not call it "blowby"). Maybe specifically ask about what they did to verify the other turbo seals mentioned in earlier post are not an issue??

but hey that is just me... and Im no mechanic..... and didn't play one in a long running TV series either.
Thanks for the suggested follow-up questions. I’d think the waste gate sticking open would cause the opposite of a high pressure problem. But, I will certainly ask them these questions. We only assumed “burping” of oil was occurring at the crank case vent hose. But we could never recreate it...nor could the service center. It just so happens that the hose terminates at the lower rear of the engine...same location as the aforementioned seals...so it’s actually quite easy to mistake the source. I did ask them what they thought would cause the rear seals to fail. They were confident long term sitting could easily lead to such a failure. The service manager stated they regularly see such failures on engines that have just sat for a season without use.

Thank you for the thoughts and input! More updates to follow...

coachgeo

.... I did ask them what they thought would cause the rear seals to fail. They were confident long term sitting could easily lead to such a failure. The service manager stated they regularly see such failures on engines that have just sat for a season without use....
not sure if this relates to seals made by more modern processes..... but at one time it was said such seals do leak but begin to reseal on their own after they start getting soaked in oil again. Curious what others in here add.

Chism

not sure if this relates to seals made by more modern processes..... but at one time it was said such seals do leak but begin to reseal on their own after they start getting soaked in oil again. Curious what others in here add.
I had that thought, and asked them if they thought it would improve with use. They were doubtful...who knows...maybe by the time I get to Anchorage it will be just a minor seep...

Chism

After having the Cat dealer check over the truck for some peace of mind, my friend Rob and I flew back up to Fairbanks and drove her home to Anchorage. Beautiful, uneventful drive with clear views of Denali! While the truck drove great, it was nice to swap drivers every 90-120 mins. The odo rolled over 9,000 miles on the way.

We just regularly monitored oil levels, and added as needed. Next item is put a new rear main seal in it and do some cleaning.

scottmandu

Rear main seal and flywheel housing seal...secondarily, the waste gate solenoid is intermittently sticking open.
This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of an FMTV with a bellhousing leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks