• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight problem

TB58

I did a search and didn't find anything on troubleshooting of the LED Headlight system.
So from the beginning.... turned on the headlights, nothing on low beam. Tail lights and running lights came on as normal, when switched to parking lights parking lights came on, and when set to high beams they worked correctly. After running approx an hour I tried the low beams again and the drivers side came on but no passenger. A while later the passenger side started working

When I shut down and restarted the problem started again. The wiring and switches all appear to be original and in good shape.

Any insight is appreciated, Thanks.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you check power to the LED assembly when it is failing. It sounds like faulty LEDs but I have only been running mine for a week.

TB58

I will check that in the morning, I will have to look closer, but i don't think the assembly itself is meant to be disassembled. I looked at the wiring diagram and have a better idea of which wire should be hot when.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if you power to the assembly when you first turn it on then the problem is inside the light itself. I never looked that close at mine but I don't think they are serviceable.

This morning I drove my XM813 to work in the dark with the new LEDs. I could finally see...

;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, if you power to the assembly when you first turn it on then the problem is inside the light itself. I never looked that close at mine but I don't think they are serviceable.

This morning I drove my XM813 to work in the dark with the new LEDs. I could finally see...

;-)
Maybe if you put an led light in the cab, you could see to turn off the power switch when you get out. (or is that in your blind spot?)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny

I had an LED flashlight hanging there and that's what I get for playing.

TB58

well I have power to the connectors. tried swapping the power leads on the light assembly itself with no luck. It doesn't look like there is any way to open up the light housing itself. Guess I'm in the market for new headlight.

Jeepsinker

Then he will have to do the civi alternator upgrade because they draw a bunch more amps than the led lights.

Run your ground wires back to the negative post on the back battery and see if that helps.

welldigger

Then he will have to do the civi alternator upgrade because they draw a bunch more amps than the led lights.

Run your ground wires back to the negative post on the back battery and see if that helps.
What? No h4 headlights are fine on a 60 amp alternater.

I assume you have the trucklite leds. They are notorious for up and dying, flickering, or whatever other strange and irritating behavior just because. They are absolutely terrible in terms of reliability.

If you want leds and have money to spend then get a set of jw speaker headlights. Bar none the best money can buy. Granted at $800 for a pair they aren't for everyone.

Next up is a h4 conversion. Very bright and relatively inexpensive. Probably the most worthwhile option.

My least favorite option is trucklite leds. While they look neat and are a good improvment over stock, they aren't worth full price. Only buy them if you can get a deal. Say $200 or less a pair.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks