• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Replacement

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 543 had a heater but now it doesn't! I have the heater unit but the heater control, on/off/high/low is missing, the two push/pull knobs are there and functional but not the most important control. Can you buy these separately, or do I have to buy an entire kit? Does someone have a parts truck out there with one to sale????
Thanks,
James G.

JDToumanian

I'm not quite sure what you're missing... How 'bout a pic? Are you saying everything except the electrical switch and wiring is there or do you mean the under dash heater / defroster 'diverter box' is missing? Is the under-hood portion all there?

I would get the missing parts from an MV boneyard. If there are none near you and / or you can't find one on the net, at the worst I can get it for you from Barstow Truck Parts... I will be making a trip there very soon and they have over a dozen 5-ton parts trucks. They're expensive but it would be much cheaper than a new heater kit...

Regards,
Jon

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Underhood and the under dash parts, the on off switch is all I am missing, when I looked at one last week on another five ton it looked like there were 4 to 5 different wires coming out of the switch. My 6217 has a three position toggle switch for high, low and off.
James G.

JDToumanian

That makes it easy... a few more questions:

Do you know if the circuit breaker is still there? How 'bout the resistor? (It's brown, about 3/4" dia. x 5" long with 1 wire coming out of each end, would be on the firewall either in the cab or under hood)

The hook-up is pretty simple - the hot wire from the circuit breaker goes to the center of the toggle switch. The two wires from the resistor connect one each to the other two connections on the switch. The wire to the blower motor connects to one of the same terminals on the switch that the resistor connects to - it doesn't matter which, but the one that the blower motor wire is connected to will be "HI".

The switch itself is standard hardware store fare - it has simple screw terminals (3-position, center off). In fact, I saw an identical switch at my local mom & pop hardware store, it was even made in USA, none of that China crap. The bracket is a simple L with a hole in it, I can get the dimensions off mine if you want to make one yourself.

Saturn has circuit breakers and the "HI-OFF-LO" data plate, your local hardware store should have the switch, and the resistor and bracket could come from a bone yard. It's the same stuff as a deuce. Or I can pull it all for you when I go to Barstow...

Regards,
Jon

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon:
Thanks, for the info. I think I can source everything here in town. The details really help with nothing to look at.
James G.

redass73

i am having trouble finding a heater blower motor for my 816. was hopeing to find a something tha would interchange. all i need is the motor and squirrl cage ,got everything else. not much fun in the cold..

Gamagoat1

Call Wigington Surplus @ 1.864.859.2692 .. I just bought a full kit for $225.00 plus ship.
Can't beat that price anymore. It's brand new and complete.
Real nice people to deal with...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped everytime I saw a military truck and asked if it had a heater, about the third stop I got mine for $20, But no on/off switch!
James