• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello all in the Unimog crowd

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been "absent" from the Unimog scene since the late 90s
I once lived in Baytown TX and helped to import and prepare dozens of 404s in the 90s
I competed in the 1995 Top Truck Challenge at Hollister CA. in a M180 powered 404
I have a 404 hard cab that has been sitting in the corner of my shop since 1998, it has been converted to a OM617 diesel using the rather expensive bell housing etc. that I imported from Germany so the driver will have someplace to put the gas pedal, I also still have a OEM bell housing or two lying around here.
SO the this truck is in line for my next project, about a year or so away, the old 617 needs some serious repairs so I am interested in possible engine swaps that may have developed in the last 25 years......

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Airmog, most of the specs are listed below. it basically has a full M35 air system installed, tanks, PB booster, WW motors and also has Air-O-Matic power steering, OM 617 engine, been sitting, had it running but not quite finished then in the late 90s when I got transferred to S TX and it sat for many years in a shed:(, now in the shop, I was looking for a unique way of trailering my FAV to shows, I think this will do:)
We used to take the Mogzila (the 404 with the M180 I competed with in CA) and would haul a M422A1 Mighty Mite in the back and pull a small camper behind it to Jeep Jamborees, but after the TTC it was a star so I sold it.
IMG_20230227_155433623.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see allot of performance parts for the OM617,not cheap by any means but some are coaxing big HP numbers out of them so I may build that 5cyl. turbo diesel. I would be happy with less than half of the claimed HP, originally IIRC it had about 125HP, about 200 or so would be awesome!
Stock insides are claimed to be ok with 250-300HP, does not surprise me the way MB builds engines!
Bad thing to have too much time on your hands!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks