• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello all....

K5NUTT

New to the board but have lurked for ever it seems.
Personally i have 8 K5 blazers ranging from a 1973 to my rare 1976 K5 Chalet....
The 79 i am working on does have the M1009 cold weather covers...and sumeday she will get the entire kit and a 6.5 L TD.
Just bought a clean M105A2 to pull behind her....cost me 400 bones.
Looking for info on how to covert the brake system or i would assume convert the entire axle to a M101A3 set up so all 6 wheels and tires are the same....and working brakes.
Spent 16 years total in the army as an 63B10H8. All my happy hookin days were spent from jan 86 to oct 89 in west germany with my old 800 series wrecker doin recovery from hanau to stutgart to K town....those were the days.

DW

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the membership. Good buy on the trailer and hope you have fun with it. I just posted a picture on the do you think this will work thread of what I did to my M105 to tow it behind a 3/4 ton Travelall. I would have put a surge brake on it back then but time was precious and I did not have a source for a surge when I built it but I was going to link the surge to the hydraulic system of the trailer. I am not certain this would work the brakes to the full extent but was willing to try. I may cut all the brackets off someday to use it behind the duece or tractor.

Please feel free to add any request to the chaplains forum too.

devilman96

Welcome to the club...

Its a round about route (following the path of least resistance) but I would think hunting down a civy traler axle with electric brakes would give you what you need for brakes and avaliable tire / rim size.

K5NUTT

I'll keep that in mind when i bring her home. She's still in az as she was found by my bud who is the body shop manager for frieghtliner while out doing an estimate. Guessin track width would be the biggest issue besides weight rating.

DW

acetomatoco

You will be much better off with a M101 trailer behind a blazer.. the M105 is a handful even for a one ton pickup...the M1008 kind. twenty inch wheels and no way to put on the brakes..be very carefu. the lunette height is about a foot above your bumper... The track width and gvw will be on the data plates on the tongue... I just bot a nice one in NH for $250 and mounted my clothing repair shop in in...

K5NUTT

Was kinda figuring that...but i couldn't pass her up at $400. Wonder if there might be someone looking to trade....lol.

DW

alphadeltaromeo

acetomatoco said:
You will be much better off with a M101 trailer behind a blazer.. the M105 is a handful even for a one ton pickup...the M1008 kind. twenty inch wheels and no way to put on the brakes..be very carefu. the lunette height is about a foot above your bumper... The track width and gvw will be on the data plates on the tongue... I just bot a nice one in NH for $250 and mounted my clothing repair shop in in...
You sew much? :twisted: Ok, just givin' you a hard time ACE, but then again, they say that "ACE" is the place. :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks