• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Columbus, OH

McFly

Hi, everyone.

I'm not exactly what you would call "mechanically inclined." I work in front of a computer all day... I do only the most basic of vehicular repairs myself... I don't have a huge cache of tools and gear... etc.

I do, however, have a love of all things military and have always thought it would be great to own/operate/repair a MV. My lack of mechanical know-how isn't really from a lack of desire... more from a lack of opportunities.

So, after seeing a number of privately owned MVs over the weekend, during various Memorial Day parades, I figured I wasn't getting any younger, and I wasn't going to ever learn anything unless I jumped in and got started. So, here I am...

A few questions for anyone who knows -

What is the best "beginner" MV? Now, I know there aren't really any beginner options. So, I guess what I really mean is - what's the best option for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience? A project that requires readily available parts and tools?

I don't have any hard and fast requirements. I've been spending time at govliquidation.com, but I've read plenty of horror stories about them.

I would just like to have something this Summer that I can begin working on, tweaking, mod'ing. Oh, and something that doesn't require a huge outlay of money would be nice, too.

Thanks!

85CUCVtom

Hello from Lakewood Ohio!

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have built two Jeeps and am currently working on my M1009 CUCV. I knew nothing about diesel engines or military vehicles when I bought it and I really feel like the CUCV series of trucks are a nice "entry level" MV. The electrical system is kinda confusing at first but once figure it out its not that bad.
Lucky for you, your at the right place for MV tips, help and advise.

Welcome to the OD Madness!

197thhhc

Welcome from Cincinnati. Any MV you own will make you mechanically inclined. (Or make you broke from paying someone who is.) CUCV's are good vehicles. But eventually you will have to buy a deuce. Why wait.

Part are actually very easy to get for deuces (Just PM me when you need something, we have a parts and restoration business.)

Good luck and were all pulling for ya. Ted

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks