• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Florida.

dotson90

Hello friends, I have been lurking around here for about 5 years now and realize I have never made a post. I posted over on the LMTV Facebook group so if this looks familiar I apologize I wanted to post here as well. I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone that is active here. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge shared here and I'm blessed to be apart of it.

I recently purchased a M1088 and M1083. I'm still waiting for the trucks to be released. But I have already received my Tobyhanna AN/ASM-189E Van Trailer.
😬

My plans are to use the M1088 and van trailer to create a mobile maker space/camper. I plan to have the trailer loaded with my 3D printers and CNC routers, so that I can create and make anywhere I go. The M1083 cargo truck is not running and was an accidental purchase as I was the only bid....it may just turn into a parts vehicle to support the main project.

I look forward to this journey and I hope to meet some of you along the way. Any advice or encouragement is kindly welcomed.

Attachments

dotson90

Wow your 1083 looks way too nice to part out. Why don't you just put it in the for sale section?
I haven't really decided what I'm doing with it yet. Everyone I tell says the same thing. I'm driving up to look over the trucks in a week or so and see what needs to be done in order to make the 3 hour drive home. I really think I can get it to run once I get it home. I have helped Keith Knight in the past with getting his non-running truck going and doing the high speed gear swap. If any of you know Keith on here, he is my uncle.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...mobile maker space/camper. I plan to have the trailer loaded with my 3D printers and CNC routers, so that I can create and make anywhere I go...
Welcome. Interesting use... what's your vision/reason for "making on the go"? Just a nomad? Demonstrations / teaching? Disaster aid?

dotson90

Welcome. Interesting use... what's your vision/reason for "making on the go"? Just a nomad? Demonstrations / teaching? Disaster aid?
I guess my post does sound like I’m “on the go” but my vision is more like a mobile classroom, my wife is a teacher and my kids are young so we aren’t planning to travel cross country full time or anything yet. To start, I’ll just go to local events like military shows, maker faire, etc. and camp out for the weekend or duration of the event. My only set plan is to have fun with it.

ramdough

I haven't really decided what I'm doing with it yet. Everyone I tell says the same thing. I'm driving up to look over the trucks in a week or so and see what needs to be done in order to make the 3 hour drive home. I really think I can get it to run once I get it home. I have helped Keith Knight in the past with getting his non-running truck going and doing the high speed gear swap. If any of you know Keith on here, he is my uncle.
Kieth is a good guy. He has helped answer a bunch of questions.

Welcome to the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello friends, I have been lurking around here for about 5 years now and realize I have never made a post. I posted over on the LMTV Facebook group so if this looks familiar I apologize I wanted to post here as well. I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone that is active here. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge shared here and I'm blessed to be apart of it.

I recently purchased a M1088 and M1083. I'm still waiting for the trucks to be released. But I have already received my Tobyhanna AN/ASM-189E Van Trailer.
😬

My plans are to use the M1088 and van trailer to create a mobile maker space/camper. I plan to have the trailer loaded with my 3D printers and CNC routers, so that I can create and make anywhere I go. The M1083 cargo truck is not running and was an accidental purchase as I was the only bid....it may just turn into a parts vehicle to support the main project.

I look forward to this journey and I hope to meet some of you along the way. Any advice or encouragement is kindly welcomed.
Welcome as a member dotson90 !

Looks like you definitely have a good looking accidental purchase with the M1083. I mean a missing door is not so great in the rain - but that problem can be solved if she will "make smoke".

My M1088 is like driving a race car without a trailer. It does well dragging trailers too, but I was really amazed at how much "giddy up" it had the first time I drove it bobtail. I think you will enjoy it - and the best part is you can swap out the back end with a new one - for a whole new purpose in a matter of minutes!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks