• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Germany

Hello,
I am from the north of Germany and am the proud owner of a CUCV m1008 that I am restoring. Now there is very little information about this vehicle in Germany, I hope to get answers to my questions here.
First I have a problem with the oil cooler line from the TH400, what size is the thread of the fitting in the gearbox. The line itself should have the size -6AN. Is that correct?
My second question: I have found a connector in the fuel line, can someone tell me what it is for?
(See photo)
It would be great if I could get answers here, it didn't work in German forums.
Thanks
20200720_180222.jpg

cucvrus

Great to hear about your M1008. I am sad to see it has been altered. It appears to be lifted and have non stock items added to it. I do not know the term for the connection that goes into the radiator from the transmission but have always used 3/8" steel line and formed it to fit. Recently I have installed hydraulic hose on the cooler lines of 2 plow trucks to get the lines out of harms way and secure in place for rough use. Good Luck with your CUCV and Enjoy. Be Safe.

Great to hear about your M1008. I am sad to see it has been altered. It appears to be lifted and have non stock items added to it. I do not know the term for the connection that goes into the radiator from the transmission but have always used 3/8" steel line and formed it to fit. Recently I have installed hydraulic hose on the cooler lines of 2 plow trucks to get the lines out of harms way and secure in place for rough use. Good Luck with your CUCV and Enjoy. Be Safe.
Hello,
Thanks for your help. You're right, of course, the M1008 has a 4 inch lift kit and 37 '' H1 wheels. That was the previous owner. Ok you can discuss that. I took over the car in very bad condition 1.5 years ago. A lot of rust, oil came out everywhere. So now rust is gone, oil stays where it belongs.
You wrote that the gearbox is a 3/8 connection, ok understood, but on the cooler it is much smaller, what were you doing to make the connection?

cucvrus

I don't know the correct answer of size of technical term for the fitting. I bought 3/8" steel line and did a double flare on the ends with the 3/8 fittings that came with the line. I know there are brass adapters on the transmission case. I never needed to buy any of them so don't know that size either. This is one of my posts where I used hydraulic lines in place of the hard steel lines. I dropped off the measurement and 1 of the flare nuts and the hydraulic shop made up the hoses for me. I know someone here has the technical terms for the fitting size but I only know 3/8 double flare. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/meet-mr-rusty.140975/page-13 It has been working on 2 snow plow trucks for me as I had rust issues in the past and things getting caught underneath on the cooler lines. Hey I hope that helps. Sounds like you enjoy working on your CUCV. Great Hobby. Take Care.

I don't know the correct answer of size of technical term for the fitting. I bought 3/8" steel line and did a double flare on the ends with the 3/8 fittings that came with the line. I know there are brass adapters on the transmission case. I never needed to buy any of them so don't know that size either. This is one of my posts where I used hydraulic lines in place of the hard steel lines. I dropped off the measurement and 1 of the flare nuts and the hydraulic shop made up the hoses for me. I know someone here has the technical terms for the fitting size but I only know 3/8 double flare. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/meet-mr-rusty.140975/page-13 It has been working on 2 snow plow trucks for me as I had rust issues in the past and things getting caught underneath on the cooler lines. Hey I hope that helps. Sounds like you enjoy working on your CUCV. Great Hobby. Take Care.
Hello,
thank you, you have already helped me a lot, did not think that it would be such a problem to get the size of the oil cooler line. Tomorrow I'll ask the hydraulic workshop here if they can help.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
Thanks for your help. You're right, of course, the M1008 has a 4 inch lift kit and 37 '' H1 wheels. That was the previous owner. Ok you can discuss that. I took over the car in very bad condition 1.5 years ago. A lot of rust, oil came out everywhere. So now rust is gone, oil stays where it belongs.
You wrote that the gearbox is a 3/8 connection, ok understood, but on the cooler it is much smaller, what were you doing to make the connection?
Sounds like your unhappy with the lift and wheels? Are you sure they are H1 wheels? IF the rims are H2, I would take those off your hands if you decide to return to stock. I already have 8 of the tires tho...

Sounds like your unhappy with the lift and wheels? Are you sure they are H1 wheels? IF the rims are H2, I would take those off your hands if you decide to return to stock. I already have 8 of the tires tho...
Hello,
no everything ok so, after testing it is very difficult here in Germany to get the vehicle back on the road again, all changes are in the papers and are therefore legally permanent. But just for this vehicle, so a little one of a kind. Yes H1 military wheels.
regards

joshuak

Hello,
it is about the size of the connections of the oil cooler line of the TH 400.
What size is on the gearbox and what size is on the cooler?
greetings
My oil cooler lines attached at the gear box to this fitting. The tube side is 1/2"-20 inverted flare nut, tranny side is 1/4" pipe thread (Not tapered).

TH400 cooler fitting.JPG

Edit: Example bellow of fitting that will get you from tranny to -6 AN.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-925137

Last edited:
My oil cooler lines attached at the gear box to this fitting. The tube side is 1/2"-20 inverted flare nut, tranny side is 1/4" pipe thread (Not tapered).

View attachment 807542

Edit: Example bellow of fitting that will get you from tranny to -6 AN.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-925137
Hello,
many thanks for your help.
I looked at the oil cooler line again. Apparently the previous owner installed normal brake lines, so I'll get the original parts and change everything.

joshuak

Didn't say so yesterday, but welcome aboard!

Hello,
no everything ok so, after testing it is very difficult here in Germany to get the vehicle back on the road again, all changes are in the papers and are therefore legally permanent. But just for this vehicle, so a little one of a kind. Yes H1 military wheels.
regards
That's interesting. For conversation sake, what would you have to do if you wanted to change tire size? Or add an inch of lift? steering upgrades?

Pictures of truck to share?

Hello,
many thanks for your help.
I looked at the oil cooler line again. Apparently the previous owner installed normal brake lines, so I'll get the original parts and change everything.
You're very welcome. Original is good, yes similar to brake lines. Here is a picture of the radiator side (same as tranny side), with the inverted flare nut (1/2") and double flare in the line like cucvrus mentioned (yes it's dirty. no, its not in use).

Double flare Inverted flare nut.JPG

That's interesting. For conversation sake, what would you have to do if you wanted to change tire size? Or add an inch of lift? steering upgrades?

You're very welcome. Original is good, yes similar to brake lines. Here is a picture of the radiator side (same as tranny side), with the inverted flare nut (1/2") and double flare in the line like cucvrus mentioned (yes it's dirty. no, its not in use).

View attachment 807627
Hello,
a Skyjacker Lift 4 inch is installed, with another pitchman arm. 40mm wheel spacers otherwise the H1 wheels do not fit. The steering stop must be reset, otherwise it will drag on the steering.
20200730_204930.jpg20200722_205117.jpg

View attachment 807627

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks