• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from northern Minnesota

moose97

Hi. My wife works at the local VA Clinic as a LPN, and she chats with one of the guys there who's a gear-head and former Marine. Anyway, she suggested that I "get a hobby," and hang out with Billy to get myself a truck to fix up. Billy and I started chatting and I've always wanted a military vehicle, and he plans on being my help on the project. Now, I've got no idea how far out a purchase is, nor am I exactly sure what I want either. I would love a large truck (I was looking at GL and saw the 923's they have - man, one of those would be sweet!), but not sure about maintenance. I'm keeping an eye on those auctions to see how much they go for... I also would love something more vintage too. M37's look neat, as I don't really want anything as small as a Willey's. A duce and a half sounds cool too. Ideally, I'd like to spend ~ $2000 give or take off the bat, and go from there.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Am I completely out of line on my initial purchase estimate? I know I've seen vehicles in that range, but would they be in such bad shape that I wouldn't be able to restore? Thanks for any advice!

The 5-ton trucks are undeniably cool, but unless you have a class B license, you might have a problem. I aquired a deuce almost 3 months ago and I love it! Being that I live in The People's Republik of Kommiefornia, I would need a class B to avoid being written for driving out of class, so I'm planning to bob it. Aside from the legality issue, I have several other reasons for bobbing my truck including (but not limited to) increase in fuel milage, making it steer easier, signifigant decrease in turning radius, and easier to park. I have a few other reasons to bob it that I won't get into here, but of all the bobbers out there, my truck will be different and distinct. If you're more into the purist mindset, restoring a deuce isn't difficult and parts are plentiful. As far as your price range goes, you might find one for a couple grand, but it probably won't be too pretty. Typically, a deuce will go around $3000 and up depending on condition and what it's got on/in it. Good luck in your quest and let us know how it goes!
:popcorn:

Last edited:

moose97

I've got a Class B (I drive school bus), so that's no big deal. Good to know I'm not far off in my initial estimate for cost. Like I said - I really would like a larger truck... :cool:

HASSON1911

Ohhh a city boy, haha just kidding, your more northern than most, and since I've been here its a pretty elite bunch I believe, Now for you truck your wondering about $2k is you can get a little bit more say $3.5k - $4k you can get a nice deuce. I got mine for $3.5k but it was probably worth closer to about $5-6k but the guy wanted to get rid of it. Now if you want a really big project I have pictures of a fixer upper crew cab deuce that the guy never finished, perfect for a hobby truck. Plus with a deuce all you need is a class D license so you should be good to drive it right away, and if you live in the out skirts of bemidji your even sitting better for a large MV.
Oh and lastly welcome to the site neighbor![thumbzup]