• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions, Seat, Antenna, Fuel Gauge, more.

fungusguy

I have this type seat pictured below. I would like to convert it to a slider style. That’s where I need help. I’ve seen sliders for the H1 but they’re about 13” or so distance from hole to hole and need to be on the same plane, clearly this lower seat bracket is not on one plane. I’m 100% open to non original equipment. I don’t really have complaints about the seat cushion itself my complaint is more so in the adjustment department.

original post below.
Hello I've been a long time lurker and just recently registered since I actually purchased a HMMWV this last week. I have a couple of questions that aren't easy to find on search engines. I'd like to get a set of 5 NON-Beadlock wheels to fit. I see wheels for the civilian H1 but they're more of the So Cal Mall Crawl look - not my style. I just ordered a hardtop kit from Plan B.
I'd like to get a whip antenna and place a civilian style AM/FM radio but I can't find any info on making the antenna work with a traditional car head unit, like an adapter or anything. (I'm not asking how to put a car head unit in, that's straight forward once you have 12v)
After replacing the fuel gauge with a new one and replacing the sending unit in the tank the gauge still isn't working, is there a common place the wires rub through?
And how on Earth do I convert this style seat into a sliding style? My gripe is that as you get closer to the dash the height also increases which is a problem for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Oregon sir.

As for the seats, if you are open to the thought of NON- original equipment, I've seen people use aftermarket ( base model ) seats for the 1984-2000 Jeep Cherokee. Slim profile, more comfortable than the HMMWV. Big drawback, The ride height is not adjustable. Once set, it is a process to change it afterwards.

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
What you need to do is start a "Parts Wanted" thread. And since this thread needs to be relocated, I will do that. You have already jumped into the frying pan, so to speak. I will relocate this into the HMMWV Forum. You will get much more help there. And you need to give it another Title. Like 1000 questions about my new HMMWV, or something like it.

Crapgame

As a reference, the original Modification Work Order Kit the military issued to replace those 1st gen seats with the Highbacks, 57K0290, you can find in the TM section. It will show you what had to be air chiseled off the driver position, and how the footwell was modified with 2 aluminum "hat" channels on top and 2 flat 1/8" thick aluminum plates Permatexed and cherry-rivetted on the bottom, for the adjustable seat base to be installed by four 5/16-18 bolts.

The components to do a driver seat conversion, rico_donaterese has a later version aluminum hat channel for $50 each:

The 1/8" aluminum plates for the underside, you can have some 5052 aluminum cut to size at onlinemetals.com

Or buy two from Rico: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234279588894

Then you need the cherry blind rivets.

A driver seat base pedestal:

The separate front to rear adjuster, if the above pedestal doesn't include it:

And there is a steel box height spacer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364226846537

A Driver Seat Support Tray between the pedestal and the height spacer: