• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Texas

MB4wd

Greetings from Southeast Texas. I currently do not have an MV, but am seriously looking into getting one. After stumbling across this sight, I wonder how in the world I missed it. I am still in the infant stages of picking through the info here, and I am sure to be pestering all when I get stumped. Great sight!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and the hobby! You are fortunate as there are a huge number of MV hobbyists here in the Houston area. We do parades, air shows, trail rides, reenactments, campouts, rescue support, public displays, and much more. There are three MV clubs here. What type of vehicle(s) do you hope to get your hands on? Now is a great time to buy mil-fresh CUCV's and M35A2 deuces. Spend some time at the Military Museum of Texas over on Wallaceville Road to meet some of the local crew . . .

MB4wd

Thanks for the welcome. I would love to get my hands on a deuce, but the cucv may be more of a reality due to space. I will definatly give the military museum of Houston a shot.

Matt

Snarky

There are also several members close to you that have them :). Well, close enough that Webster is where I hang out occasionally and go get sushi. Wehring from Angleton is who taught me a lot about deuces, a really great guy.

Last edited:

chaplain

Howdy from San Antonio.

I can't get enough of the site. bought my first deuce and drove it home from Ft Worth. Love it and have enjoyed the fellowship on the site. I recommend that before you do anything research every thread you can find on the topic and know what your getting into. knowledge is power especially with fifty year old vehicles.
God Bless and keep the faith.
James

USAF Combat Arms Instructor, retired.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!! Fantastic site!! SUPER people!! TONS of information! Spent several years in TX, Ft. Hood. This site has more to offer, better "governing" than ANY I have come across! We all don't wear halos though. Never hurts to keep one's wits about 'em, ya know? Again, WELCOME aboard!
God bless,

Tony:-D

MB4wd

I can appreciate the "well governed" sight. I am no stranger to four wheel drive vehicles, having owned several vintage broncos, two landcruisers, an old toyota pick up, and a 91 f-250 that wound up with a turbo on it. I have come to the realization that instead of spending lots of money making a rig tough enough, I could simply buy one that my tax dollars already bought. I have been looking at GL, and there seems to be some fairly nice M35's in San Antonio. Would a deuce normally make the trip back to Houston from SA, or would transport be a necessity? And to think landcruisers were a sickness.....

Matt

MB4wd

I can appreciate the "well governed" sight. I am no stranger to four wheel drive vehicles, having owned several vintage broncos, two landcruisers, an old toyota pick up, and a 91 f-250 that wound up with a turbo on it. I have come to the realization that instead of spending lots of money making a rig tough enough, I could simply buy one that my tax dollars already bought. I have been looking at GL, and there seems to be some fairly nice M35's in San Antonio. Would a deuce normally make the trip back to Houston from SA, or would transport be a necessity? And to think landcruisers were a sickness.....

Matt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a forum search for "Ft Sam Houston". Buyers have been having all kinds of experiences with the San Antonio deuces. A SS member just had a nightmare? experience trying to fix the injector pump on the base, ended up having to have it hauled. Another SS member flew in from Florida, got a ride over to the base, got jumped off and drove back to Florida without turning the engine off. Take a day off work and drive over there and preview. The trucks with the 4 color camo have been sitting for years. The three color camo trucks have been in recent use. All are ex-Texas National Guard (36 on bumper). You can get a hotshot to haul a truck from SA to Hou for about $400. I had mine hauled, but I knew it was a non-runner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks