• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Western MA

asilitch

Hello,

I joined you all because I am thinking of replacing my current do-everything (dump-insert/utility body on a pickup) vehicle with a military Chevy pickup. The idea is that I would transplant in a Cummins 6bt, etc. from a Dodge (similar to my current truck), and do some serious frame-up rustproofing (maybe even dip galvanize the frame & cab before painting).

The logic is that parts for this truck are plentiful, including sheetmetal, many of the trucks have a 9400lb GVW, which is about as high as you can get without going to training wheels & mandatory commercial insurance, they are old enough that repowering is not a big deal regarding emissions, and they are already a diesel vehicle.

I have done a few repowers, so I know what that entails. I don't know what it takes to get the 6bt into the K30 chassis per se, but it seems that some folks have done it.

Comments, advice, flaws in my assumptions, tips on finding a good chassis (no rust, no rust, please, no rust), or any questions about my current/past vehicles or general diesel conversions would be quite welcome.

Thanks,

Alec

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks