• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help/advice/instructions on LDS engine swap for M51A2

Tototex

I am looking for any information, schematics, videos that could help me with pulling the engine out of an M51A2 and replacing it.

I bought this truck off a car lot that abused it. She threw a rod 2 miles off the lot. I have found a replacement engine but I am no mechanic and have never done anything this in depth.

I am going to try and swap the engine myself and would appreciate any advice or information on getting this done.

If anyone is local, I would love some help!

andy3

It's a big and heavy engine. I recommend a good battery operated impact wrench, impact sockets and half dozen guys you can share stories for years to come. I did an engine swap last year at the Georgia rally and it took a solid 3 days with some great wrench turners. Label everything! I laid out tables with craft paper. We laid down all parts and bolts, labeled them and put number of parts then drew a circle around them. Made it way easier during reassembly. You will need some solid lifting power, the engine and transmission should be around 2300lbs give or take. It's higher than a normal engine lift. While you are at it you should replace the main seal on the new motor, replace any hoses and make sure you have several sets of eyes looking things over.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can do with a cherry picker, you just need patients. I have found it easiest to pull the the radiator, pull the oilpan, and the top off the transmission. Aside from 5hat, no tricks. Just unbolt and rebolt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks