• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, along the road, locked brakes

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone, I thought I was going nuts when this happened, you read so much on here about how the system fails and leaves people without brakes, and here I am with the exact opposite problem... I probably would have tried to get it home, but alongside the road with a leatherman and 1 adjustable wrench, theres only so much someone can do...:-|.

I can't thank you folks enough:beer:
How many tools are under the seat? How many tools are shoved in the storage compartment? The glove box? In the back?

Chit, I even ditched the pioneer tool rack and installed a three drawer Craftsman toolbox. And on long road trips I load up even more stuff. I carry a spare dogbone even. I got two sets of fuel filters and one set of oil filters in the truck. I have a plastic tool box between the seats. I hate walking.

You gotta fill that thing with tools, spare parts and fluids. It's not IF it'll break, but WHEN.

Amer-team

So what is your history on this truck. Is it new to you? How long has it been sitting since any service work has been performed. Does your brake fluid look clean? Just a few more of the questions of things to look at. The field expedient answers have been given. good luck and keep us posted.

Tlauden

Ya, I can see that a tool box full of goodies is in order to stay with the truck. As on history I'm not too sure, Colemans said they had it a while just sitting up till about a month ago when I got it. The first thing I did was change filters, and like everyone suggested I went thru and checked all the brake lines and fittings for leaks.

And as for the loss of power, do you mean it mite feel like no power due to the brakes might have been dragging? After I did the filter change I took it on close to a two hour drive and when I got back there was no signs of smoke that would have indicated the brakes dragging, if you think the problem is connected in some other way though, please explain for the newb :beer:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my truck did the same thing to me. I broke a bleeder valve on a wheel cylinder and "whallah" my brakes let go.

My issue was not the airpack but the needle sized return hole in the Master cylinder was clogged.

did you accidentally mix synthetic and regular brake fluid? that'll jell it up and cause the hole to clog.

Tlauden

No, didn't mix, haven't had to add any fluid, yet.. Once this is all over the system will probably need bled... I'm thinking I'm going to take this opportunity and pull both the air pack and master cylinder and with the help of the TM's tear down and clean both....

Amer-team

My 5T had the fluid changed from DOT5 to DOT3 and it probably got no more than 200 miles in 9 years. When we pulled a brake drum off, there was corrosion on the surface and the wheel cylinders were rusty inside. All the brake parts were new with less than 200 miles. I changed the fronts and emory clothed the drum face. That solved the brake hangup for a bit, but then another started catching and so we changed the rear wheel cylinders as well, did a DOT 5 fluid bleed, lubed the airpack as well and that seems to have taken care of the problem.

Another thing you can do when they hang up, is to back up and pump the brakes hard a few times. They will sometimes release if there is a mechanical reason they are sticking. And if it is a piston that is sticking or not releasing all the way, sometimes they will release. They will usually hang up when you are at an intersection with a line of traffic behind you.

Good luck on this project.

Tlauden

Ok, because I hate when I'm reading a thread and it's a cliff hanger, ill keep this going until the problem is resolved

Update: 4/28/11

Finally got around to disassembling and testing the brake air pack. Everything in there checks out good, we looked at the seals and the different O-rings and it looks like a few more years until a rebuild kit is required... All plungers and valves operate the way they should. That's the good news

The Bad news is the issue still isn't resolved, checked the vent line and it is clear but we are running a new vent line to rule the old one out 100%, and due to the fact once I saw the vent blows AND sucks air, and is connected to te engine slobber tube.... Yea well... Doesn't seem like the best idea to have it sucking in the stuff in the slobber tube... So I guess it's now onto the master cylinder...

I'll keep the updates coming so if in the future someone finds this thread somewhat informative they aren't left hanging with no final fix:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks