• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP HELP!!!! i dont know what happened

67buickss

ok i have a 86 cucv and it was driving good and one time i went out to start it and it hesitated then made a weird low thud noise before it started and then it started squeaking,(to me it sounded like belts). but sound went away so i thought it was the belts. took it home and tried to start it for my brother to let him hear what i did and i wouldn't start but finally the third time it did doing the same thing as before but now it kept making a loud like metal on metal noise. then it wouldn't shut off, so i disconnected the battery and the fuse wires to the 12v caught on fire.

WHAT DO I DO??????????
i am new to diesels

thanks
shaw

67buickss

well i really dont know what it exactly sounded like but to me it dident sound good, the guy at murries said that it could me timming off, and do a injector pump test or replacement.

ONTOS66

We can all agree that it does not sound good .. the fire would certainly qualify as an indicator that something was wrong.

Hopefully one of the cheerful and helpfull SS dudes can stop by and eyeball the situation.

Sorry to hear about the problem ... on the other hand, be sure to let us know what you eventually find out. In case (shudder) some other CUCV owner experiences the same terrible noises.

Good luck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it runs ok AFTER the ugly metal to metal noise, most likely nuthin wrong with the engine. I'd say a starter issue too. Remember, GM products are good for starter problems.

ida34

I just replaced my relay because it kept sticking on. If this happens to anyone sharply hit the bottom of the dash above the diagnostic connection. The relay resides there and every time mine stuck I immediately hit that area and the relay let go and stopped the flow to the starter. I figured the $10 relay was better than a big bucks starter. I hope you get yourself back in shape. I have a parts cucv but the harness has been really picked over. If you need something give me a PM and I can check to see if I have it. I do not have a starter.

redwolf3

I had a similar problem where basically the relay under the dash came on and kept the starter running with the motor turning (this made a metal on metal type of squeeling sound). Then, when I shut off the engine, it kept running because the relay was stuck closed.

In my case, I was not able to pull the cables soon enough to prevent total melt down and ended up needing a new starter. In your case, I think you may have caught it in time. The relay is under the dash. I believe it is a NAPA AC40, but there should be more information on it on the site.

Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks