• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help I have broken my lockout hubs

tklm539

Ok -15 last night, I went out to engage my lockouts on m1009 and they were frozen. Simple, little tap with a hammer!! 3 min later both are free spining, around and around and around.

Can anyone tell me what I have done or better what I need to replace? Is it the whole unit or just the turn nob?

Getting a foot snow tonight and am going to need them

Tom

mangus580

Tom, go down to your local auto parts (NAPA, etc) and buy a new set of lockouts. They wont be the 'visual match' but will bolt right on, and work just fine.

chances are you just broke the turn knob (been there done that.... although mine was the result of a hit with a 109 van body rofl)

As a temporary measure, they can be taken apart, and forced to 'lock in', but i dont recall how I did it, without having one apart in my hands.

sprucemt

And after you go to NAPA, go up the street to the new hardware store and get a propane torch and a electric heat gun. At -15 below, a little heat will go along way.

tklm539

Good advice on both parts. I have a heat gun, must have been to early, because I did not think of it.

I found Warn hubs for 89.00 but they are CHROME !!!!

I will check with napa

mangus580

Tom, look closely at the warn hubs. The stock hubs on a CUCV are made by Warn. you might be able to use your outer shell, and the internals of the new ones!

I would suggest using ALL the internals, and keep the old ones as backups.

mangus580

actually thinking about it... since you are messing around with the cold, take the 6 bolts off, swap 'caps' on the hubs for now. deal with the chrome until it warms up. Then, you can take the caps off, and switch the plastic knobs into your old caps.

Make sense? They are pretty simple to install, just alot of messing with the goofy snap rings holding things in.

kinetichotshot

Just a thought... On my 1-ton I bought MileMarker hubs (from O'Reileys I believe) They have a lifetime warranty and work great! Have been on the truck for about 6-7 years and never had a problem since! They are just as good (if not better) than the Warn at half the cost. And yes, I think mine are chrome too, but a wire brush/sandpaper and a little paint will fix that right up. Oh, and 1 more thing... The 'knob' on mine is METAL not plastic!!!
Just my $0.02. Hope this helps...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

ida34

I got a set of warn hubs from my local store for $75. They were the quarter turn instead of the stock ones that have almost a full turn to engage. I did not try to swap my internals. I just scuffed the chrome, primed, and painted them flat black. I wonder if the internals will swap between the 1/4 turn and the full turn models?

Gator,
The milemaker hubs might have been half the price of the warn for the 1 ton as they are pretty expensive for the 1 ton but I don't think the same holds up for the 1/2 ton hubs unless the milemaker is prices around $40. I priced new hubs for my 1 ton Ford and if I remember right they were priced in the $150 range. How much did your mile makers cost?

kinetichotshot

Ida... Yeah, they were right around $40 if I remember correctly. At the time I was broke and couldn't afford the Warns (at the time around $95) but I had to swap out my hubs as one of my auto lockers was locked and the other wouldn't lock! The guy at O'Reileys suggested the MileMarkers with great reviews (he was a big 4X4 nut with the cash to spend on top of the line everything) and he was even using the MileMarkers... Like I say, just my $0.02. and I don't know the current prices as, like I said, I haven't had to worry about them since!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I like the old hubs I have on the old CJ out back you pull out a small bar turn it 90 degrees and lock it back down. I will have to shoot some pictures of them when I go home on leave in March. I did not recall the CUCV hubs being plastic but then I have never had a problem with any of them. Did you get this fixed in time to go romping in the snow? I love driving ours in the deeper stuff.

AJMBLAZER

Milemarkers are comparable to standard Warns but not to the Warn Premiums.

If you can wait a while check eBay and also on www.ColoradoK5.com along with your local 4x4 forums. My father-in-law's F150 had both locking hubs basically give up the ghost a few years ago. I got him two good shape but used Warn Premiums for about $40 off of a local 4x4 forum within a few days.
10 bolt fronts use the same hubs as Dana 44's.

wlcharm

I picked up a set of m1009 lockers on Ebay 2 weeks ago for $30+S&H.

AJMBLAZER said:
Milemarkers are comparable to standard Warns but not to the Warn Premiums.

If you can wait a while check eBay and also on www.ColoradoK5.com along with your local 4x4 forums. My father-in-law's F150 had both locking hubs basically give up the ghost a few years ago. I got him two good shape but used Warn Premiums for about $40 off of a local 4x4 forum within a few days.
10 bolt fronts use the same hubs as Dana 44's.

tklm539

Thanks all,

Hubs installed this morning. No problems at all. Went with the Warn Premium. Sadly, paid through the nose, but my m1009 is my daily driver and with all the ice and snow lately, I did not think it was wise to wait to long.
Thanks again
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks