• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! I want my Ram 2500 w/CTD to sound like a DEUCE!!

Katmandu

Ever since I heard my 1st Duece, I was HOOKED!! :D I LOVED hearing them all the years I spent in the USAF as well. I looked forward to out Annual Field training just to check out the Dueces and 5 Tons that woud be there!

Can't quite afford a Duece for a play toy (yet), but I did the next best thing and recently purchased a 98 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. It sounds pretty darned good as it is right now, but NOT like a Duece (YET!)

My CTD currently has a Single 4" Straight exhaust that exits out behind the rear wheel. I also removed the Turbo's Silencer ring to help it SING!

What size exhaust do Diesel Dueces have ??

What type muffler do they use and how are the constructed internally ??

Any help you guys could give would be GREATLY appreciated !! :lol:

TIA!

ERIC

Katmandu

red devils dude said:
deuce's with a turbo engine dont have a muffler the exhaust is 3.5" any thing else?
Just straight pipe ??

I'm surprised it's only 3.5"s!

What brand/size diesel engines do Dueces have ??

What makes the Turbo whistle so loud out the exhaust on Dueces ??

red devils dude

um let see, yes it's just straight pipe, the engine is a Continental/White/Hercules LD(T)-465(1,-1C,1D) 478CI
the whistle is from the tip's of the turbo's compressor wheel going supersonic.

Jones

Deuces always look like their turbos are way undersized. That makes the turbo really spin up like RDD says; plus, deuces are shoving the results of an extra 120 c.i. or so through the exhaust system. Smaller exhaust housing for your CTD would be a start in that direction but be careful of increased EGTs and other factors associated with boost coming in a lot sooner. One small change can branch out into a lot of different effects. Exhaust on deuces is fairly short, exits fairly close to your ears and has few sweeping bends. High frequency sound (the whistle) doesn't like going around sharp corners. Another thing; for whatever reason, is that some turbos of the same make and model are just louder than others. Most deuces aren't waste-gated so yours might be bleeding off excesses before the turbo runs up into the self-destruct zone. It'll never sound "just like a deuce" but it'll definately be noisier.

DrFoster

If you really want your cummins to scream, get a 3" short ram intake for it. That really makes the whine loud.

You'll also want to cut your exhaust back to a straight pipe 3" or 4" and exit it right behind the passenger door.

That's it. The longer the tube on your pipes, the quieter it gets. The stock intake is designed by Dodge, not Cummins, and its primary goal was noise reduction.

Shoot, if you want to hear what a short ram intake sounds like, pull your intake pipe off of the turbo and go drive around the block...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks