• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID a transfercase

Foreverunstopable

Did some more research. it looks like I can use a WW2 Chevy transfer case. I'm not sure which case tho. I have Chevy 2.5ton Banjo axles and I would assume the Banjo transfer case. The link below under C. says it can be done. Does anyone know what case that is or where I can get one?

http://www.cckw.org/speed.htm

Foreverunstopable

Did some more research. Here is the information that leads me to believe a WW2 Chevy case will work. I have the Banjo axles. Anyone know what the WW2 case is they are referring to?

"That transfer looks like that from the G749 GMC duece of the 1950's. It is a sprag type case, single speed permanent underdrive, and needs a mechanical signal from the transmission to tell it which way to turn for forward or reverse.

GM 7411327 ratio 1.16to 1 ( single speed )"

Parts guy from Boyce Equipment

"g508 transfer case out of a CCKW will work, swaps right in. Iits 2 speed high-low and will go with your banjo axles"

http://www.cckw.org/speed.htm

"C. You can also replace the transfer case (Banjo axle’d trucks only) with a WW2 Chevy transfer case. This will bolt right in and only needs to have the front drive shaft lengthened. The Hi-low lever will now work backwards and you will need to cut the interlocking stop off of the front axle lever in the cab. With this Chevy transfer case, low range will not be as low (1.94 x 1 as opposed to 2.63 x 1) but high range will be 1 to 1 as opposed to 1 to .7 in the banjo CCKW and DUKW transfer case. This will give you a 42% increase in speed now up to 64 mph from the stock 45 mph."

rizzo

Foreverunstopable said:
Great write-up, I have two questions.

1. If this was a direct swap, sprag to air-shift, what is the model number of the air-shift case that went in and the transfer case that went out?

2. It looked like there were no modifications to the mounts or drive shafts, what its the rotation of the front output in forward? I remember reading somewhere that the 2.5 ton front may have a different rotation than standard equipment.
I think the GMC has has a different rotation.

Foreverunstopable

I have the GMC 2.5 ton axles. I don't exactly have the skills to fabricate new mounts so it looks like I'm going to need a working M211 case. Does anyone have a good case for sale that I can swap right in? I hate seeing the truck sit like this.

Foreverunstopable

Tulsa Mfg 4x4 AWD Transfer-case

Does anyone have a picture of a Chevy 1.5ton case and a CCKW case? I'd like to take a better look at both of them, preferably an exploded diagram. I just received the Tulsa 4x4 manual which confirms the case in the truck is the M211 AWD type. I'm leaning to the 1.5 ton Chevy WW2 case as the preferred swap now but if the mounting holes aren't the same the CCKW's case appears to have the same holes.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5654/transfercase011aw0.jpg

Attachments

Elwenil

If I remember the writeup from the guy in Leesburg VA that has M211 axles under his M715, the front axle does rotate backward from the standard of most axles and he did flip the hogshead. I think it required some grinding of the case to clear the ring gear and one or two bolts would have to be left out. I also remember that because of the offset, one shaft had to have the splined end cut off come and the other shaft didn't engage the side gears 100% but he said he ran it and wheeled it with no problems.

Foreverunstopable

Does that mean the Chevy case has a different rotational pattern. I found a link on how to modify the axles.

http://members.aol.com/jzettel73/Military_Axle_Swap_3.html

This guys has a Chevy 1.5ton case and swapped out the axles 1.5ton for 2.5ton GMC's. It appears that his did this without any modification to the axles.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=614071&postid=7465428

original transfer case.The 1 1/2 ton g.i. chevy 4x4 was pretty much identical to the WW 2 6x6,same axles,sheet metal in most cases.The ww 2 axles used leather seals in the axles,always leaking and no lockers available.I swapped in the GMC axles front and rear from a G.I.. duece and 1/2.Better seals,bigger axle shafts plus detroit lockers available.Plus,they look almost identical to the original chevys.Good call on spotting the GMC's.Not 1 in a miilion would have a clue! One of my swamp buggies when I was a kid was built from a Dodge weapons carrier and I have been playing with this old stuff ever since. It's a sickness,just like fishing,racecars,etc. Rip

pa.rich

Going back in the discussion a bit, The axle looks like a M211 or 135. FY> , the 211's had a divorced transfer case. They had the input from the trans to the case. and one output to the front axle, 2 outputs to the rears. Its too dark rite now to take a picture.Also the 211's had the high and low range in the automatic trans. The 211 transfer case was single range. It is possible that you have a CCKW bobbed with the Chevy C65 body on it, and btw it looks cool. Hope this info can help. Does it only have one range on the transfer case unit? When I had my front wheels jacked off the ground they would only rotate one direction. It could be all GMC axles and transfer case. Like M211 or M135.If you need M211 pics from the manual, let me know.

Foreverunstopable

The Cab, Frame, Engine, Trans is defiantly from a C-65. Tulsa put the single speed reduction case in the truck along with the GMC 2.5ton axles. I have the manual for the M211. I'm trying to replace the 1.17 reduction case with a 1:1 high case. I no longer need the two rear outputs as I only have one rear axle now. Hopefully someone has a diagram of the 1.5ton WW2 and CCKW case so I can compare the mounting holes for compatibility at a close to direct swap for the M211 case. I have the banjo axles and banjo case. Does the picture I linked look like your M211 case? Its the direct copy from the Tulsa 6x6 4x4 AWD parts guide.

superburban

4ever,
Do you have more pics of your truck? I was thinking about doing just this thing, (and I was patting myself on the back, thinking I was a genius, for coming up with it).

Foreverunstopable

Yeah I have more pictures. PM me an e-mail address to send them to.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of a CCKW transfercase and a WW2 chevy 1.5ton case at all?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
superburban said:
4ever,
Do you have more pics of your truck? I was thinking about doing just this thing, (and I was patting myself on the back, thinking I was a genius, for coming up with it).
Ha! I've always wanted to put a pair of 5 ton axles under a school bus. I think it would be plenty cool. Hmm, export maybe?

Foreverunstopable

Is that second picture of a 1.5ton Chevy case or a CCKW case? It looks like if I used that case I would have to change the flanges off the drive shafts to make it u-bolt strap style. What is the rotation of he front and rear driveshafts? Shoot me a PM with your questions. I'm still looking for a manual diagram of the CCKW case and 1.5ton chevy case. What kind of truck did that setup go into?