• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identifying Engine Label

CapePrep

Just picked my new toy up yesterday. Was hoping for a GMP (?) motor, but saw this instead. Any help deciphering it? I see a date of 11/20. Did they replace the motor? It doesn't smoke, started this morning in 15 degrees no problem. Thanks!!

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a picture of the whole engine, especially the valve covers (if there are any stickers on them).

Based on the date I see, it looks to me like it's probably. 6.5L engine -- if it was replaced 11/20. But looking at the whole engine should make that clearer.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks to have been rebuilt at Ft Hood, undoubtedly would be a 6.5L but may or may not be a GEP, it would take some time and effort to ID all the components like the heads etc as they could have used components from both the GEP and GM engine, but at this point that info does not have allot of value as you have what you have.
I would not be too concerned, if it runs good enjoy!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So at about 10 years in service they rebuild most trucks.
The rebuild process has a set amount of money allotted per vehicle.
Once they replace everything that is actually broken or worn, they tend to replace major components like engine/transmission/transfer case with ones they've rebuilt in order to use up the rest of the funding.
It doesn't mean anything was wrong with the old engine or anything was bad with the rebuilt engine before they rebuilt it; they're just spending all the money that they are allowed to so their budget doesn't get reduced later on.

My truck was 10 years old and 26 original miles when they pulled the engine/transmission and replaced them with rebuilt units, so actual wear doesn't mean anything. Most military HMMWVs didn't get a huge number of miles on them to begin with.

CapePrep

M
It looks to have been rebuilt at Ft Hood, undoubtedly would be a 6.5L but may or may not be a GEP, it would take some time and effort to ID all the components like the heads etc as they could have used components from both the GEP and GM engine, but at this point that info does not have allot of value as you have what you have.
I would not be too concerned, if it runs good enjoy!!
Mog, it runs really well! This is the one that I decided on as opposed to that rust bucket I posted a week or so ago. Very happy with the choice and decision to go this direction, with your help. I started it yesterday in 15degree weather and it fired right up, no smoke at all even after warmed up and drove around for the first time. I am betting it is a new or rebuilt motor.

CapePrep

Take a picture of the whole engine, especially the valve covers (if there are any stickers on them).

Based on the date I see, it looks to me like it's probably. 6.5L engine -- if it was replaced 11/20. But looking at the whole engine should make that clearer.
I am confident it is a 6.5. Too far into the run of 1097's not to be.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it was rebuilt in 2020, then it's pretty much guaranteed that it is a 6.5.

The fact that it's a serpentine belt system confirms it's a 6.5, as the 6.2 never had the serpentine belt system.

Just for reference though, what's the model number and serial number for your truck? The serial will tell us when it was originally manufactured (unless it's an M1097R1 truck as they received new serial numbers when they were converted) and model will tell us basic version of the truck.

Just from the pictures though, the belt system is for a post 196900 serial number truck, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as some trucks before that serial number also got that version installed when they were rebuilt.

CapePrep

if it was rebuilt in 2020, then it's pretty much guaranteed that it is a 6.5.

The fact that it's a serpentine belt system confirms it's a 6.5, as the 6.2 never had the serpentine belt system.

Just for reference though, what's the model number and serial number for your truck? The serial will tell us when it was originally manufactured (unless it's an M1097R1 truck as they received new serial numbers when they were converted) and model will tell us basic version of the truck.

Just from the pictures though, the belt system is for a post 196900 serial number truck, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as some trucks before that serial number also got that version installed when they were rebuilt.
197679, 1097A2. So you are right on with engine identification. I am hoping someone familiar with the military nomenclature would be able to tell whether the engine was rebuilt or new replacement. Just my curiosity. There are no other stickers on the left hand valve cover where I have seen them with the GEP designation. Either way, it runs well. But, isn't there always one, the oil pressure gauge jumps all over the place until the RPM's get up a bit. Was staying at around 55PSi for a while than went to <90PSI. Just need to see if it is the gauge or sender. Was a little unnerving at first to see it jump from 0-60 at idle

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was rebuilt, a "new" engine would not have a rebuild tag.
Also a new engine would have the GEP decal on the left valve cover, it may or may not be a GEP or parts of a GEP and a GM, again not too important at this point.
POST MORE PICTURES!!

CapePrep

It was rebuilt, a "new" engine would not have a rebuild tag.
Also a new engine would have the GEP decal on the left valve cover, it may or may not be a GEP or parts of a GEP and a GM, again not too important at this point.
POST MORE PICTURES!!
Here are a couple from my 6hr trip to northern Maine to pick this beast up on Friday. Long trip, but the right equipment for the haul and good weather! Cant'wait for the temp to get above freezing to start wrenching and getting it ready for the spring

Attachments

Awol

Here are a couple from my 6hr trip to northern Maine to pick this beast up on Friday. Long trip, but the right equipment for the haul and good weather! Cant'wait for the temp to get above freezing to start wrenching and getting it ready for the spring
Those are some sharp looking rigs!

Congrats!

Crapgame

I see the 6.5l engine coolant crossover installed.

I would think by 2007 all the pre 1995 GM blocks that had the cooling deficiency issues causing the rear, curbside cylinder to crack, would have been coded out of the system. The only way to tell is the casing markings on the block by the rear cylinder on the driver side. Remove the transmission cover then look at the back corner of the engine block.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would think by 2007 all the pre 1995 GM blocks that had the cooling deficiency issues causing the rear, curbside cylinder to crack, would have been coded out of the system. The only way to tell is the casing markings on the block by the rear cylinder on the driver side. Remove the transmission cover then look at the back corner of the engine block.
6.5’s didn’t suffer this issue, the turbo did…AMG fixed the issue when GM dropped the motor in 99-2000

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What caused the cylinder to crack was GM added piston coolers to the 6.5L engines, if there was significant core shift the tooling that drilled the holes into the oil galleries for the coolers would nick the bottom of the #8 cylinder wall which over time would cause the cylinder to crack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks