• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identifying M60a3 Tanks

lexington21

We have two M60a3s as static displays here in St Robert, MO (right outside Fort Leonard Wood, MO). I am trying to get specific history on these two tanks based upon their hull numbers or serial numbers. So far I have had no luck trying to locate a database to determine manufacture date or which units received them. Any tips or resources for locating that type of information? Thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
Print the info here. NSN, Model, hull number and anything else you can find. I know someone in TACOM. Tank and Automotive Command. I can ask, cant hurt.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No offense meant to anyone but I gotta say something here. All VIN information requests should be sent through the 2017 VIN INFO thread. If it's in the database, it will give the last assigned unit but that will probably be HQ TACOM. Doing a FOIA request to TACOM would be option 2. They don't want the headaches associated with it and have more important things to do. Their history may very well end up being no better than our own database. With all the requests we get for this...direct PM's and threads (like this that continually pop up every week), we should make it a requirement that new folks have to physically go to the XXXX year VIN INFO thread, read post #1 and then type something special in that shows they've read it. For all the good intentions of providing various answers via the PM's received and/or newb threads, it is in the long run counter productive for maintaining the historical information on vehicles. Vehicles get handed around by members like wives at a swap orgy (not that I watch ****, I'm too old). Having this info available is important because the VIN INFO thread probably won't last forever There, I have dropped my dime and 2 cents.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, your right! I never even thought about the VIN thread. Probably because I don't have anything with a VIN. But I did read it when I started on here!

L1A1

I posted on the VIN thread what I had for my M548A1 tracked cargo carrier & they were able to tell me a little bit about it's history. So that thread is worth a shot.

Matt

NEIOWA

VIN thread? Where is this? Didn't know there was such.

US Milspec vehicle have a "VIN" or you mean the S/N on the data plate?

L1A1

VIN thread? Where is this? Didn't know there was such.
US Milspec vehicle have a "VIN" or you mean the S/N on the data plate?
On soft skinned vehicles it's location varies from type to type but it can also be found on the data plate as well. Yes, it is the vehicle's serial number. I think the "VIN thread" is located in the general conversations forum. it's been awhile since anyone posted on there for it to pop back up.
Matt

lexington21

Thanks for all the replies. I apologize for not seeing that there was a VIN thread, total rookie mistake. The serial number on one is SER 271 with HT 2344 with U137 on the turret, we believe this tank came from a Guard unit out of Fort Drum. The other tank has GC 111 with 7953807 below that, this tank came from Fort Leonard Wood from an Army unit. I appreciate the help. I'll post this info to the VIN thread as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks