• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID'ing this 5 ton wrecker

USAFNB

My dad found this wrecker on market place and we are both trying to figure out what it is. I'm 100% sure it's an Austin Western wrecker crane but I've never seen an M62 with the hard cab for the crane, I've only ever seen the M246/M819 wreckers with those. This truck is a mess but if we can identify it, it may be worth while to have my dad look at it and possibly buy it until I get home from my year long temporary duty assignment.

I'm fairly certain it's an M62 with a standard wrecker body, powered by the ol' 602 gas motor. My thoughts are it is either:
1. a unit got their hands on a hard cab somehow and added it to their M62
or
2. it's a M246/M819 crane on a m62 bed.

The pictures don't really show the end of the boom (manual boom on the 246/819 has a pin), unless you SS sleuths can tell me some other way to ID the wrecker type. I'm more inclined to believe it's a standard M62, that's been partially dissembled and had some bed "modifications" for the rear winch, looks like a hydro conversion? I am also inclined to get in contact with the gentlemen and get some additional photos.

Any help would be awesome guys, I'd love to save this old girl...I see a lot of strata blue paint which makes me think it was an AF truck.

- Caveman

Attachments

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
definitely a straight M62, continental R6602 gas engine, A/W boom .. The quick identifier on A/W booms is the location of the spare tire mount studs and lack of oil tank .. The next quick identifiers are the shape of the boom tip, specific layout of the cable hoist motor. and length of the boom assembly as a whole.. The R6602 motor will be found in early-50's M62's with A/W hoists as well as later M62's w/GarWood hoist , as long as they had not been MWO'd into A1's or A2's .. The date they went to GarWood was somewhere between 1955 and 58 ? Someone on here knows date for sure, in case your truck doesn't have a build tag date .. Also, the majority of M62's were made by International, but some M62's were made by Diamond-T as well

Last edited:

USAFNB

MSGJD and Swiss,

thank you so much for the quick responses, the 2 winches (front and bed) would be the same as my M816 wrecker correct? Is the bed the same as my 816 as well, just the cranes are different? I imagine the hard cab could be adapted to the 816?

for what he is asking, it seems like it could be worth saving.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So true, can you imagine the expense to fix this truck? All new hyd hoses, all new brakes, all new electrical, engine overhaul or replaced, tires, paint, seals, dogbones, etc etc
Yes I can imagine and it was in alot better shape than this one to start. Worse case if you have somewhere to store people might be interested in parts.

USAFNB

@swiss - The restoration costs is probably prohibitive, so is the time involved. I have plenty of room to store at our property in TN. As I start thinking about the parts on this truck, winches, driveline minus the engine...etc it would be great for spares to the 816. I know the A/W vs GarWood crane would have very little parts commonality but like I said, it's better than the big boat to china and I'm a sucker for AF trucks.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@swiss - The restoration costs is probably prohibitive, so is the time involved. I have plenty of room to store at our property in TN. As I start thinking about the parts on this truck, winches, driveline minus the engine...etc it would be great for spares to the 816. I know the A/W vs GarWood crane would have very little parts commonality but like I said, it's better than the big boat to china and I'm a sucker for AF trucks.
Save it, there are some of us with the old Austin cranes may need parts one day. If would be fun to disassemble if you are bored :) and see what you come up with.

USAFNB

I wanted to follow up for everyone, this truck is for sale but the crane body, boom and other wrecker parts have been sold. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you the gentlemen's contact information. Glad it's being salvaged/saved

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks