• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me install a 10K Garwood winch on my M109

lelandEOD

Hey folks,

I've got a Garwood 10K PTO winch I'd like to install on my M109 and I *think* I just need one or two parts to get it up and running. Can those of you with running winch set ups tell me if I have everything I need to get this connected? I'm kind of doing this piecemeal so any help you can offer will be most appreciated!

So far, I've got the centerpiece... a 10K Garwood winch:

winch.jpg

The back of the winch has this input shaft:

winch input.jpg

I also have a driveshaft with the shear pin on one end that I think connects to the winch input shaft:

Winch driveshaft end with shear pin.jpg

The driveshaft looks complete:

winch driveshaft.jpg

lelandEOD

So here's where I need some help.

My PTO output seems to be lacking a companion flange to connect to the driveshaft.

Here's a shot of what I'm working with:

PTO output shaft.jpg

And here's what I *think* is the PTO end of the winch driveshaft:

winch driveshaft TC end.jpg

Hmmm... so it seems to me that I need a companion flange on the PTO output shaft to bolt up to the driveshaft. A google search yielded a couple different possible parts, but this is the one I think is correct:

PTO companion flange.jpg

Am I on the right track here? I still need to service/rebuild the winch itself and refresh the driveshaft U-joints and slip joint, but am I missing anything else?

I tossed the old wire cable as it was a frayed tetanus shot waiting to happen... any recommendations on a replacement cable? ...length, capacity, etc?

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're on the right track!

You might call Erik's and confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the right one.
And it is not...

See this old post for the correct dimensions...

Edit to add: Just finished checking out all the "usual suspects"... looks like that part can be added to the Deuce-hard-to-find items, nowadays.

But there it at least one possible source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133267069542

(yes, posting eBay links is allowed now...;))

Last edited:

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And it is not...

See this old post for the correct dimensions...
I stand corrected! Thanks for chiming in, you're a wealth of information!
Now I'm curious... Do you know what the above flange actually fits, if anything? Erik's Surplus seems to give the impression it will work with the winch...

Is this the correct flange? Seems pricey for what it is...

Also, I know the older deuces, I think with gas engines, used a different driveshaft with a plain yoke instead of a flange. Could a person do away with the flange on the later model driveshaft and replace it a yoke? I wonder if this is the yoke for the earlier winch driveshaft?

(yes, posting eBay links is allowed now...;))
Good to know!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know what the above flange actually fits, if anything?
No, I don't... That 2-1-333 flange may work for a M35 (gasser) if one wanted to use the A2 driveshaft, which already comes with the required 2-2-329 flange yoke.
But for a M35A2 it sticks too much out, so that the OP's stock (Multifuel) driveshaft would bottom out even before it could be installed.
Is this the correct flange?
Close... The keyway should be 5/16" wide, not 1/4". Probably a typo (?); it actually looks wider in the pictures.
I wonder if this is the yoke for the earlier winch driveshaft?
Not. Besides other modifications, the gasser's driveshaft uses a 2-4-663 end yoke that goes on the PTO shaft, instead of the companion flange.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I snagged the one on eBay...
That one probably comes without the set screw, so you will need one like this one....
PTO output shaft flange, set screw for....PNG
It looks like your PTO output shaft is missing its key.
If you don't have it already, it takes a 5/16" x Ø 1.0", round bottom key (flat bottom will work, also). Search for "1008 Woodruff key".
Correct dimensions, shown below:
PTO output shaft flange, woodruff key for....PNG

lelandEOD

That one probably comes without the set screw, so you will need one like this one....
View attachment 803904
It looks like your PTO output shaft is missing its key.
If you don't have it already, it takes a 5/16" x Ø 1.0", round bottom key (flat bottom will work, also). Search for "1008 Woodruff key".
Correct dimensions, shown below:
View attachment 803906
This is awesome, thanks! Grainger here I come!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks