• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, MEP 004A not exciting

Motownmike

Hi everyone, so the power goes out with the recent storm and my MEP 004a is doing what it did las Feb. After I start it, while holding up the start switch to flash the field, all I get is a grinding starter. I believe we narrowed it down to the speed safety switch last time. I removed the connector and reseated it & reset the overspeed button and it worked..5 months ago & a couple months ago with no issues. Now I'm in the dark again.
My question is, does anyone nearby have a spare switch I can install to get this thing functioning again? I don't have any well water and it will be a day till the power is projected to come back on. I have 120V Honda for the freezer and fridge but it won't put out the 220 I need for the well.
If none is available, is there a quick and dirty way to flash the field after I get it started without grinding the starter? I tried disconnecting the starter solenoid wire after I got it fired up and I still couldn't flash the field.
Are there any wires I can jump to bypass the speed switch and enable the field flashing?
Thanks, Mike

Harleyd315

Dangerous but I did see someone flash the field with a 12 volt battery and jumper cables once. Hooked up to the battery and then just tapped one of the output studs with the positive, neg was on the L0

Motownmike

Thanks Harleyd

I just might try that, I've seen it done on aircraft starter generators that have been dropped. On a positive note our power was restored while I was out filling the water tank. So I have more time to troubleshoot.
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks