• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP - MOSTLY DIAGNOSED - Starter Relay???

MuddWeiser

So I come on here and see everyones posts about the starter relay dying - WELL I LOST MY STARTER LAST WEEK... Spent the $$$ for a rebuild and 2 new batteries, back on the road for 5 days.

THEN THIS MORNING THE TRUCK WON'T START! I heard some sizzling noises from down under the dash (by the STC/ICE adapter)...

Had a competent buddy over and we disconnected the harness to the starter relay, he jumped the Red wire to the purple wire on the opposite side of harness, TRUCK FIRED RIGHT UP...

Few questions:

- Obviously I need a new starter relay - WHAT PART # and where to buy???

- Saw that someone said they traced their "ominous purple wire circuit" and found a short ; curious where the short was? Where should i look - supposedly at the diode in the circuit which is near a vaccuum pump?

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!

MuddWeiser

SWEET! THanks for the update.

Just out of curiosity can anyone confirm that part #? I used to have the sheet with all the common part #s on it but can't find it. I thought the relay was a 10digit #??? Maybe that part # crosses to the # above? Either way I appreciate it!

ANY INFO ON WHY THE RELAY MIGHT HAVE DIED? My starter died last week and had to be rebuilt - good solenoid, but the actual motor in the starter burned up and was only 2 years old, I also replaced both batteries- At the time the starter died, I had 1 bad battery from a faulty generator that i have since replaced (battery didn't pass load testing). It was the rear or firewall side battery. I thought that might of been the cause of the dead starter but now I am wondering if it may have been my relay?

OF PARTICULAR NOTE - I did notice the last few days that the starter would engage with a delay from the key/ignition. In other words, when I turned the key there was a slight delay from when I turned the key to when the solenoid/starter would engage and start cranking (maybe like 1 or 2 tenths of a second delay???)

Just trying to figure out if I may have a short in my system which killed the starter and subsequently the relay or if it may just of been a bad relay that just died of "natural causes"

MuddWeiser

So I found the piece of paper that I wrote most of the replacement parts down on and I have part # NAPA AR-135 for the starter relay?

Does anyone have a link to that thread that had all the common part #'s listed?

I don't know if I should get AC40 or NAPA AR-135 !!!

Very confused! Thanks!

MuddWeiser

I may have answered my own question - but thought I would post this for anyone interested...

THe part #'s all match/cross to each other:

GM: 15591718

NAPA: AR135

Carquest: RY117

Autozone: AC40 (Has five pins but will work. This is also a Ford heater relay)

nyceguy01

If youre running a 12v system can it just be bypassed so I dont ever have to deal with a bad one in the middle of nowhere ?